Chapter 6

Mikayla was softly humming to herself while she sat at her desk. As she added a meeting into Damien's calendar, her thoughts drifted to him often.

It had been a few days since the incident at the club had taken place.

She had done her best not to think about the fact that they had almost kissed, something that was a bit difficult to manage especially whenever she was in Damien's presence. Although, since she had been partly drunk, a part of her wondered at times if she had exaggerated the entire exchange.

The sudden ringing of the black office phone on her desk brought her out of her thoughts.

Picking up the receiver, before she could even say hello Damien's voice gruffly said, "Come to my office now," then hung up.

"Geez, some manners wouldn't kill you," Mikayla muttered as she picked up her notebook and went over to Damien's office.

"Listen Mikayla," his voice relaxed, "I have some urgent business with Pierce Robotics that needs handling in New York and you're coming with me. Don't worry about reserving us a hotel, the robotics company already booked something. However, you'll have to make sure to reschedule the rest of this week's meetings."

"Alright, noted. When do we leave and what do you need me to do?" she asked as she readied her pen to take some quick notes.

"We leave tonight and I need the usual clerical support, you'll be taking the minutes as you always do and will use the information to draft and write a report," Damien said as he looked down at his mobile.

"Tonight?" Mikayla looked up; her eyes wide in surprised.

Without looking up from his phone he asked, "Is that a problem?"

"No sir, I just didn't expect to be travelling so soon," Mikayla said.

Damien made a tsk sound, "Well you know how the business world works, time is money. We have the meeting with Pierce Robotics on Wednesday and a consultation with a software firm on Thursday. If all goes as planned, we'll be back in London by Friday evening. I'll have a car sent for you later tonight."

There was no way she could go home to Northampton and be back at Hannah's place in Packham in time, she only hoped that his driver would not mind the long drive to and from.

————— ▲ —————

Mikayla got out of the chauffeured car that Damien had sent to pick her up and stifled a small yawn as her eyes took in the plane that sat on the tarmac.

It was two in the morning and she was three hours late. Good thing they were using a private jet, otherwise she would have missed the flight. Mikayla carried a handbag with her on board the Falcon 7X jet while her suitcase was packed into the plane by one of the attendants.

It was her first time on a private jet. Mr. Northefielde had never really taken her on personal meetings like these, and if he had, they usually just flew business class on a commercial airline. Her brown eyes slowly scanned the interior of the first compartment, there were about seven large seats evenly spread out, with a bar and two tables as well as a small couch.

She was ushered into the second interior which was almost identical to the first half except it had four large seats, one table and a bigger couch. Sitting on one of the chairs next to the couch was Damien, his jacket thrown over the back of his chair, his tie hanging loosely around his neck as the first two buttons of his shirt were open. He had clearly come straight from the office, his eyes focused on some charts on his laptop.

"We need to talk," Damien said without looking up from the screen.

Sighing softly, Mikayla made her to the couch and plopped down. She knew that he was upset that she had caused their flight to be delayed. She wondered how he wasn't tired as she took in his appearance, he looked as alert as ever. Mikayla laid her head back against the headrest and closed her eyes waiting for him to talk to her.