Chapter 17

Mikayla and Damien had been enjoying a wonderful breakfast on Saturday morning when they were suddenly interrupted. As Mikayla turned to face the person behind the voice, she could not stop her eyes as they widened.

"Shit!" Mikayla thought, as she quickly moved her hand out of Damien's hold.

It was Bethany Mitchell, one of the new executive secretaries, "Mr. Arnauld? Mikayla? What are you two doing here?"

"Having breakfast like everyone else that's in here. What does it look like?" Damien replied.

His tone had a hardness to it, he did not appreciate the interruption and hated that it had caused Mikayla to pull her hand away.

Mikayla did not know the slim young woman as well as Mrs. Clemons and some of the other ladies. Bethany had only started working at Arnauld Tech Corporation a week ago. The pretty brunette with hazel eyes had always seemed pleasant when they had interacted in the office, and Mikayla been looking forward to getting to know her as she seemed like fun.

The problem that Mikayla faced, surrounded the fact that she had planned on keeping her relationship with Damien a secret. Of course, it was just her luck that someone from the office would catch them out in public together, holding hands.

Bethany did not miss the way Damien was caressing Mikayla's hand as she approached the table. She could not believe her eyes. Not that it was any of her business, but she could not help herself as she went over to say hello. However, Damien's cold and curt reply coupled with Mikayla's silence was more than enough for the woman to get the idea that she was not welcome. With a small nod, she apologised softly and excused herself, re-joining the group of people that she had arrived with.

"That was a bit rude Damien," Mikayla mumbled, as she kept her gaze focused down on the table for a bit.

Damien made a sound at the back of his throat as he tried to keep his anger at bay. Their morning had been going so perfectly. Perhaps he should have taken her somewhere more exclusive, so that the probability of them being spotted would have been lower.

"Screw it!" he grumbled.

Damien did not want to hide Mikayla, he wanted everyone to know that she was his. To hell with what anyone had to say. Pulling himself out of his thoughts, he replied to Mikayla.

"I wasn't rude, I was just stating a fact. She asked a stupid question, how else was I to answer?" he simply said, as he signalled the waiter to bring the bill.

Mikayla kept her gaze forward as they got up to leave. They would have to pass Bethany where she sat in order to reach the door. She could not help but stiffen a bit when Damien grabbed her hand as they walked past the table. They walked hand in hand as they exited the building and crossed the road to where he had parked at the side of the street.

"Why did you do that?" Mikayla asked, slightly annoyed as they crossed the road.

She shook her hand to try and break from his grip, but Damien only held it tighter. She was sure that Bethany was watching them through the large windows.

"Now for sure she will think that we're involved in some romantic way," Mikayla's voice had a bit of panic in it, "what if she tells the other secretaries at the office?"

"Good, I hope she does," Damien said, as he finally let her hand go so that he could open the car door for her.

"Damien!" Mikayla exclaimed, as she stood at the side of the car, "I don't want people at the office to know."

"To hell with them," he replied, before his lips crashed down onto hers.

He kissed her soundly as he pressed her against the car. His mouth silencing any further comment from her.