10

I slowly opened my eyes, blinking a couple of times to adjust my vision. I was laying on a cold, hard recovery couch in a bright, chilly room that smelled like disinfectant. Otis was sitting on the couch placed next to mine. 

"Otis?" He smiled at me.

"You're at the nurse's office. You passed out because you didn't eat anything. You had me worried sick! I told you to eat something Vivienne." He sounded frustrated.

"I know- and I'm sorry for that." I genuinely felt bad for putting Otis through this. 

A short, brunette lady walked into the room with the biggest smile on her face.

"You're awake! You have to remember to eat, sweetie. I know you've heard this plenty of times wbefore, but breakfast is the most important meal of the day." 

"Yeah, except she hasn't eaten since what, yesterday?" Otis rolled his eyes.

The nurse gave me a bag of chips and a juice box. "Eat and drink this right now. I want to see you finish both. Afterwards Otis, I want you to make sure she eats a full meal. Understand?"

Otis nodded. We both headed back out after I finished my snacks.

"Otis I'm sorry for putting you through that. Forgive me?"

"What? Why are you apologizing? I'm frustrated because you don't eat!" 

"It was one time Otis! I will remember to fit in even a little snack on my busiest days, okay?" I know, I shouldn't make promises I can't keep.

We headed over to Prossima Fermata: Italia, a really popular restaurant that was fairly close to school. 

"I don't think I've ever eaten somewhere this fancy." Otis' eyes sparkled in the light from the chandelier.

A tall, frail waiter greeted us. 

"Welcome, how many?"

"Two." 

"Right this way." He took us to a booth in the back of the restaurant. 

I slightly moved the curtain to look out the window and noticed a guy with a camera outside of the restaurant. Paparazzi. 

He turned his head as I quickly closed the window. "So, what are you going to eat?" I tried to keep Otis from looking out the window. 

"Probably a pasta. Please get an actual meal... or two... or five." He playfully glared at me. 

"Don't worry, I love this place so I'll be eating just fine. So Otis, I want to know more about you. What's your household like, what do you do during your free time?"

Otis started to look nervous. "Well uh, I love listening to records. I have shelves full of them! I play video games, I love riding my bike. I live with my mum and I'm an only child." He gave an awkward, nervous laugh. 

"Oh really! What does your mom do?"

"She's a sex therapist."