36

I had to lie to Otis. 

I really felt guilty about it. He welcomed me with open arms into his home, yet I had the audacity to lie to him in his own home, in his own room. I didn't know what else to do. I knew Otis would find out about Nick sooner or later, since it is on the internet- that was exactly what my agents were going for, but I didn't understand why it bothered him so much. Why did he care whether or not I was dating someone? 

Otis had barely talked to me that morning. He took his breakfast upstairs and locked himself in his room. On our way to school, he finally was the first one to start a conversation. 

"So, how long do you plan on staying?" He asked, avoiding eye contact. 

"I had just planned on staying here for the night. I can come back for my things after school and head home."

"Okay, sounds good." He bluntly responded. 

"Otis, what's wrong? What is this? You invite me over and then, suddenly you ignore me and act up?" 

He stopped walking and turned to me. "Why didn't you tell me you were dating Nick? When I asked you who dropped you off at school you said it was a friend. Why did you lie to me? I thought we were friends, Vivienne! Friends don't lie to each other!" 

"I wasn't lying to you. At the time he really was just my friend. We had met through my agents and they didn't want me telling anyone." 

"I just don't understand why you've been so toxic! We had such a great start and now everything is  so different! I don't even know who you are anymore, Vivienne!" He started raising his voice.

"Toxic? Otis, I have done a lot for you. You're the only person out of the whole school that I'm friends with! Look, I have a complicated life, I'm constantly being watched. Everything I do, say, everywhere I go, all of that counts. So, I think it's time you ask yourself: did you really know me from the start?" 

He was silent. 

"If you feel that I am being toxic, you can leave. I'm not saying this out of pettiness, I'm saying this out of care. The last thing I want to do is hurt you. And, this whole time I've been trying to protect you, but if you really do feel that way, I'll give you your space and you can do your own thing, and I'll do mine." I didn't know how to feel, maybe he was right. I was being toxic. 

His eyes teared up as he reached over to give me a hug. "Just give me some time to think about it. I can just do the project on my own. It won't take me long." He whispered.