Ch.3 I'm Your Boss

Day 70 of the Dragon Head Feud.

I was cleaning up my boss' office as he slept. Dazai was laying on the couch, napping away. I was organizing books in the bookshelf.

I would read all of these, but I read each one about four times. So I've stopped.

"Dazai?! Where in the hell are you?!" a voice shouted.

It came from outside the office. A second later, the door swings open with a bang. Standing in the doorway was my other young boss, Chuuya Nakahara. He looks at me and instantly relaxes.

"Shiori, where's Dazai?" he calmly asks.

I point towards my sleeping boss. Seeing Dazai like that pissed him off. He got worked up again.

"Dazai! I know you hate this, but get out there already!"

Chuuya's shouting wakes him up. He yawns as he does.

"Quiet down, will ya?"

"No! I can't believe you! The boss is calling for you, and you're napping?!"

Dazai turns over and looks at us with a smile.

"Chuuya? Good morning~. Yet another day of being small, huh? You need me for something? Alright. Just a minute, I'll grab a microscope..." he jokes.

"Idiot! Do you know what it's like out there?! We're in the middle of the Port Mafia's- No. Yokohama's worst gang war in history!"

"Please stop shouting. I understand, of course. Strain, an international crime syndicate and among the four biggest, has had 80% of it's members taken out. The head of the Takase Corp has been assassinated, leaving the chain of command in chaos. What's more, other groups are joining our death march."

In a way, Dazai knows all.

"The weapon dealership Shadow Blades, former religious group Shoten's Staff, the smugglers group KK Trading. All this hatred, paranoia, and a thirst for revenge have created a frenzied capriccio of blood. Well, we shouldn't worry over it. If everyone dies, the feud will end on its own."

Dazai turns over again and closes his eyes.

"Are you serious right now? Unlike you, I don't want anyone else to die in this town. If you have time to sleep, get out there and end this!"

I stood right next to Chuuya now. I tug on his sleeve to get his attention. He looks down at me.

"Dazai-san can't. It would just be adding fuel to the fire. If we leave the strategizing for the war to Boss, everything should be fine. We should use our brains for this."

I produce a photo and show it to him. I got it from Dazai's desk.

"What this? A corpse... Whose body is that?"

"One of the Port Mafia's executives. He was known as 'The Colonel'."

"What?! Someone offed him? No way! His ability was to poison the air around him. No one could beat that old man! Who did it?"

"The Pale Qilin." Dazai answers.

He sits up and faces us.

"His supernatural ability is still unknow, but... If I had to guess, I'd say he gets stronger with every kill."

"What?"

"That makes this feud perfect hunting ground for him." I speak.

"You have a plan, Dazai?"

"No~. Come on, Chuuya. That's not how you're supposed to be thinking. Think of it this way, what does this mean for us, the future executive candidates? An executive position has opened up. Aren't I right?"

Not being able to control his anger anymore, Chuuya punches Dazai across the face. Dazai's smile disappears. He was cold and serious now.

"...Punching me without any warning. Now that's just wrong."

"Just be glad I didn't kill you."

Dazai lightly touches the right side of his face. He immediately let's go.

"Ugh. It stings. I'm human too, you know."

"Yeah right, as if anyone believes that. I'm going to do something about this Pale Qilin jerk. You can sleep here until you die. I'm leaving in ten minutes if you're planning on joining me, Shiori."

And with that, Chuuya stomps out of the room. The door slammed shut behind him. Dazai stares at the door with a grin.

"How cruel..."

I walk up to Dazai and poke his red cheek. He instantly becomes goofy and whines in pain.

"That hurt, Ori-chan~."

"..."

I walk away and head for the door.

"Where are you going?"

"...Chuuya-san invited me to go with him."

"You know I'm your boss, right? You listen to me."

"...But Chuuya-san is my boss too. You have me training under him after all."

"But who found you?"

I don't answer. I kept facing the door.

"Not going to answer?"

I stay silent.

I'm suddenly spun around and pinned to the door. Dazai's face was serious as it was close to mine. I look back, unfazed by this.

"I'm not going to repeat myself."

His words were cold.

"...You did."

"So who do you listen too?"

"...You."

"So listen to me when I say I'm your only boss. If you want to follow Chuuya around like his dog, then don't ever come back to me. If you do, I'll put you back on the streets. Or I might just put you down. Do you understand?"

"..."

It's been two years since Dazai found me. I was ordered to listen to him. That means giving up my freedom to him. I must listen to him.

"Yes, Dazai-san."

Dazai let's go as he stands up straight. He let's out a sigh as he relaxes.

"Good. I don't want your first feeling to be rebellious. Cause that would be too much of a pain. Especially if Chuuya causes you to feel something before I do. Plus, I don't want you to leave me for another owner. Only I own the cutest dog in all of the Port Mafia."

"Yes, Dazai-san."

Dazai lightly smiles as he places his hand on my head.

"Sorry for being so scary, Ori-chan. You can go with Chuuya. But only to make sure he doesn't do anything reckless."

"Yes, Dazai-san. I will take my leave now. I cleaned up your office when you were sleeping."

"Good puppy. Now go follow the tiny barking chihuahua that just left."

I nod my head and leave his office.

~~~~Third Person P.O.V.~~~~

Dazai sighs as he sits at his desk.

"So much for that. I was hoping she'd feel something. Anger, scared, or even flustered, but no. I got nothing. I always get nothing."

He spins in his chair a few times before stopping. He smirks at the door his student just left from.

"I can't wait to cause your first feeling."