Ch.7 The Gifted Suicide Crisis

~~~~Six Years Later/Present Day~~~~

It's such a beautiful day today.

It's the afternoon and I wasn't at the Agency. I was currently with the dead. Actually, Dazai and I were relaxing at Odasaku's grave. Dazai was leaning against the tombstone with his head tilted back as he sat in front of it. I was resting comfortably in his arms as I sat in-between his legs.

We sat there in complete silence. But it was comfortable silence. I could hear Dazai's heartbeat. It was a soothing sound to my ears.

After a few more minutes, I heard footsteps approach us

After a few more minutes, I heard footsteps approach us. When they were right behind us, they stop. Dazai simply picks his head up while smiling.

"Nakajima Atsushi."

"Yes?"

I open my eyes and turn my head towards my twin. I smile at him.

"Do you know whose grave this is?" Dazai asks.

"No. But it's someone dear to you two, right?"

"...What makes you think that?"

"I've never seen either of you pay a visit to a grave before."

"Does it look like we're visiting a grave to you?"

"It does. Why?"

Dazai seemed a bit surprise from my brother's answer. But it disappears as he smiles again.

"Was it someone you were in love with, Dazai-san? A friend to my sister as well?"

"If it was a woman I loved, I'd have died with her."

"Oh, yeah, I guess you would have." Atsushi mumbles to himself.

"Did you say something?"

"N-Nothing!"

"Besides, there's only one woman for me."

"Who?"

Dazai doesn't say anything as he smiles at me.

"What?" I asked.

"...It's nothing. Come on, Ori-chan. Time to get up."

"...Okay."

I climb to my feet as Dazai does the same. He faces Atsushi as he walked pass him and talked.

"He was a friend of ours. The man who gave us a reason to quit the Port Mafia and join the Detective Agency. Without him, we might have stayed in the Mafia, murdering people."

Atsushi turns towards at Dazai.

"I'm kidding."

Dazai was no longer smiling.

"I bet Kunikida-kun told you to come find us, didn't he?"

"Yes."