Ch.8 Danger Is Coming

It's night, and Dazai hasn't come home yet. So right now, I'm on the streets, wondering around until I find him.

"I hope you didn't actually kill yourself... I would lose it." I mumble to myself.

I have to ask him what he plans to do about Shibusawa. I'm at a lost. I thought Chuuya killed him. Guess I was wrong.

I suddenly stop walking.

I've been zoning out while I'm thinking of ideas to deal with Shibusawa. So I haven't really been paying attention to my surroundings.

I look up and smile.

Even when I'm not thinking, it looks like my feet know where to take me.

The Lupin bar sign glows bright as I enter the building. I walk down the stairs to find the bar empty. Well, almost empty. I sit next to a certain suicidal man as he drinks his alcohol.

"Hello, Ori-chan. I didn't think you would find me."

"I wasn't really trying."

There was silence between us as the bartender places a drink in front of me. I smile at him and he goes back to cleaning his glasses. As I take a sip, I noticed another glass on the other side of Dazai. It had a white flower in it.

"That's for Odasaku, right?"

Dazai just smiles a bit as he stares at his glass. I close my eyes and take another sip.

"I know I don't have to tell you about the meeting earlier today. So, what's your plan?"

"..."

"Not telling me? ...Why?"

Dazai places an apple on the counter. It had a beautiful silver knife sticking out towards the top of it.

"Dazai-san..."

"I'm off now, Odasaku, Ori-chan..."

Having said that, Dazai stands. He turns towards the stairs. He sends a small smile at me.

"Ori-chan... I need you to stay away from me tonight."

"Did I do something wrong?"

"No... I just don't want you to get hurt."

"...Doing something dangerous again?"

"..."

His smile fades.

"Then I have to come with you to keep you safe. I am your guard dog after all."

"...You're a dear friend to me, not a pet... I would hate if you got caught up in what I'm about to do."

"What are you about to do?"

"...Goodbye, Ori-chan..."

He starts walking towards the stairs

He starts walking towards the stairs. I just stare at my drink as my voice simply replies.

"I don't like that."

He stops in his tracks.

"...I'll see you later."

And with that, he leaves. I let out a small sigh as I stare at the apple.

~~~~Time Skip~~~~

It's late when I leave the bar and head home. I arrive back at the Agency's apartments around 12am. As I was walking to Dazai's apartment door, I noticed Atsushi's light was on. I go to his door and knock on it. After a few seconds, Kyouka answered.

"Hey, what are you guys doing up so late?"

"Your brother was having a bad dream." Kyouka answered.

He's probably remembering his time at the orphanage.

"Mind if I come in?"

Kyouka moves aside and I enter. Atsushi  was staring at the window.

"Hey, you good?" I asked.

"Huh?" Atsushi turns his head towards me. "Shiori, come look at this."

I stood next to the window and looked outside. It was only then I noticed the fog surrounding the outside area. Kyouka stood next to me as she looked too.

"What the hell? It was clear a moment ago."

Kyouka pulls out her phone.

"It's not working." she informs us.

I pull out mine to only get the same result. Atsushi tries his to only end in failure.

"Could this be the fog that apparently makes gifted people kill themselves?"

"Let's go to the Agency." Kyouka speaks.

My twin becomes nervous.

"R-Right now?"

"I agree with her, Atsushi."

"T-The fog might clear up eventually."

"..."

Kyouka and I just stare at him.

"...F-Fine. W-We'll go."

"Get dress you two. I'll wait outside." I order as I head for the door.

"O-Outside?! B-But, what if it is the fog that-"

"Relax." I look over my shoulder and smirk at him. "Fog can't kill me. Besides, if my ability really does try to kill me, I'll just kill it first."

"I-Isn't your ability causing nightmares and making people commit suicide?"

I stop in my tracks with my head facing the door. My voice was low and serious.

"So what if it is? My ability doesn't have any affect on me."

"How are you so sure?"

"...Because...I'm already living a nightmare..."

An image of my deceased brother, as well as Odasaku, flashes through my mind.

"I'm just the only person in the world who can withstand the feeling of committing suicide. My ability has no chance against me."

With that said, there's still my other ability I have to worry about.

"How can you withstand that kind of feeling...?"

"...Easy."

I smile as I face the two of them.

"It's because I have you and all of our friends."