28

"Yue?!"

"Pa! I miss you!" Shen Yue quickly embraced her father as soon as he opened the door.

"I miss you, too, baobei!" Shen Ming hugged his daughter tightly and patted her head lovingly. (宝贝[baobei]=baby; it's an endearing term used by family or lovers)

"Who's that, honey?"

Shen Yue could hear her mother's voice coming from distance.

"Yue?" Zhang Li was pleasantly surprised to see her daughter at the door.

"Ma!" Shen Yue quickly went to give her mother a tight embrace.

"My baobei!" Zhang Li tightly embraced her, "Why didn't you let us know that you're coming this late?"

"I miss pa and ma so much, so I just impulsively came here," Shen Yue closed her eyes and enjoyed the comforting warmth of her mother. This was all she needed to feel better amidst the confusion in her mind.

While holding Shen Yue, Zhang Li looked at Shen Ming with a knowing look. Something definitely bothered their daughter's mind. Knowing her, they could only wait for her to open up to them herself.

Shen Ming returned a knowing nod to his wife.

"Well, have you had your dinner yet, baobei?" Shen Ming asked.

Shen Yue smiled guiltily and shook her head. After all, she came here straight from Dylan's house.

"Look at you! When will you stop making us worried?" Zhang Li frowned in disapproval, "Now let's get something in that little stomach of yours!" She then quickly dragged Shen Yue to the dining room, with Shen Ming followed behind with a chuckle.

--------------------------------------------------------

"Your food is the best, Ma!" Shen Yue hugged her mother's waist. After finishing the dinner, the family of three enjoyed themselves in the living room. Shen Yue was sitting between her parents. Zhang Li was hugging her and patting her head, while Shen Ming was putting his arm on the back of the sofa and watching his wife and daughter lovingly.

After a moment has passed, Shen Yue let out a deep sigh.

"Ma. Pa."

Zhang Li and Shen Ming looked at their daughter who was still looking down at her feet.

"You both have been together for so long. Have you ever hidden things from each other?" Shen Yue finally raised her head to look at her mother and father.

Hearing her daughter's strange question, Zhang Li immediately looked at Shen Ming. Normally, they would have light-heartedly teased their daughter, but this time, they could sense that that particular question carried a heavy weight.

"Well, of course, we have hidden things from each other," Shen Ming started, "I hide things from your mom when I want to surprise her. Also remember when you beat a boy up until he cried because he bullied your friend in the primary school? Your mom still doesn't know about that."

"What?" Zhang Li glared at her husband and daughter who were laughing at her reaction.

Zhang Li then sighed, "Instead of hiding things from each other, it's more like we don't tell each other every little things. But for sure, we will never hide things that can break our trust. We try to be open to each other as much as possible, especially for things that concern us. Your pa and I would always talk to each other and get through problems together."

Shen Ming smiled and reached for his wife's hand to hold it firmly.

"What if one day you find out that one of you hide something important from each other? What if your relationship was built on a lie from the very beginning?" Shen Yue hugged her mother tighter.