08 | First Day Blues

0 8
First Day Blues

It's finally here. The dreaded first day at a new school. My first and last year at Arlin Preparatory High School.

In my opinion, the worst part was the preppy uniform we're forced to wear.

The face I pulled when Mom handed it to me last night had her hysterical for hours. Glad to know she enjoyed seeing how uncomfortable I felt in the short skirt and stupid sweater vest. The knee-high socks do little to make the too-short skirt feel any less scandalous, and my flats hurt my feet after barely ten minutes in them.

Now that I'm here, though, my uniform's the last thing on my mind. My heart's pounding so damn motherfucking loud I can barely hear anything else around me.

Not the lady at the office when she hands me my schedule and wishes me good luck, not Noah when he laughs at all my AP classes and ditches me, and not the students passing by, whispering about some new girl named London.

Oh shit... wait a minute... I'm London!

All of a sudden, my ears can function again. I speed walk to where the little piece of paper says my locker is, and quickly put in the assigned combination, making a mental note that I need to change it to something easier. 38-16-24 is way too hard to memorize.

"...Daniel's house with London," is the first words I clearly hear from two lockers down, making me wish so desperately I had heard the beginning.

People are talking about me being at Daniel's house for that party two days ago. Why? It's not like I did anything scandalous. If anything, people should be talking about that argument that took place when we were leaving. Why isn't that making any headlines?

"Are you kidding me... that's Malia's cousin? They look nothing alike."

A shot to my ego, thanks.

"What was London's last name, again? Prince? I don't recognize that family name. Must be some family that got rich off the lottery."

Ha, a shot at my dad. I'll allow it.

"Wanna make a bet on how long it'll take before London throws herself at The Boys?"

Oh no. A shot at my morals. Not happening. And who the hell are The Boys? Why was it said so... sacredly?

I slam my locker shut, turning toward where I heard the last voice coming from. Three girls look at me, then quickly scurry off. I smile to myself, thinking these girls are all just talk, and will at least shut up when I come at them.

That thought leaves my mind when I feel someone tap me from behind, realizing they left because they saw this person coming, not because they care at all about me.

"Daniel, hey," I say when I turn around, forcing some happiness into my voice even though I just want to go throw myself down some stairs.

"Hey, Lyndon!" He hugs me briefly, making more heads turn our way. "How's the first day going so far?"

"Well, it's only been five minutes, but it's been... eye opening to say the least." I laugh as I say the words, but I'm not finding any humor in this at all.