20 | Not So Golden Couple

2 0
Not So Golden Couple

"Is this wrong? Should I have even done this? Should I have just stood home? Yes, I should have. What was I thinking?"

I slap a hand to my head, going over the scenario again.

I left my house in a rush, slipping by before anyone could notice, though I'm sure they all heard the engine of the car. I can only imagine how pissed my parents are.

But the urge to see Jalen was too strong to ignore, even if the possibility of Cortney and her family being around is true.

I groan loudly, removing my hand and bringing it back to my lap.

"I want to see him. I just don't want to see her," I add on, surprising myself at how much venom came into my voice at the end. "Ugh, what do you think? Should I go back home?"

My rambling ends when the officer standing by my window raises his flashlight, momentarily blinding me.

"M'am, I've already told you that I do not care about your problems," he begins, lowering the light and raising a hand into my car. "I just want your license and registration."

"Right, of course," I hurriedly say while passing it to him.

He quickly compares the picture on the license to me. "Are you visiting, or you live in New York?"

"I'm living here, sadly," I say, then add when he raises an eyebrow, "Moving here has caused all of my problems."

"I suggest getting a New York license," he states before walking to his car.

He returns in a matter of seconds, handing my license and registration back, then passing me a ticket.

My jaw drops in shock. Great, a fucking ticket, as if I needed to add more problems into my life.

"You ran a stop sign. You could have caused serious damage if another car had been on the road."

Not that I don't agree, but damn, I can't catch a fucking break today.

I sniffle before reaching for the ticket, deciding to accept my fate and head back home.

The officer hesitates at my window. When I look up at him, barely able to see as my eyes begin watering, he sighs heavily and leans into the car. "Look, if Jaden—"

"Jalen," I correct.

"That's what I said," he says with a shrug. "Anyway, if he gave you his address, that means he wants you to come over."

I freeze, thinking it over for a second. Jalen didn't protest when I asked to see him, instead telling me his address and giving instructions of what door to walk too once I arrive.

"I'm going," I announce, glancing back at the officer, reading the name over his badge. "Thank you for the advice, Officer Serrano!"

His eyes narrow at my chirpy tone, seeming annoyed that I went from being on the verge of tears to smiling so quickly.

"Don't run anymore stop signs," he advises before walking off.

I take a second to gather myself, before tossing the ticket into a cup holder and continuing my previous task of driving to Jalen's house.

I reach there quickly—seeing as Officer Serrano stopped me just a block away—and begin following his words and parking two houses down, quietly walking along the side of his driveway after, clutching my wallet, keys, and phone in my hands tightly.