23 | Dinner From Hell

2 3
Dinner From Hell

"I can't find one goddamn thing to wear! This is fucking ridiculous!"

Daniel sighs. "I know you're freaking out, Lyndon, but please don't take the Lord's name in vain."

I scoff. "I'm not freaking out. I'm just annoyed with my wardrobe."

Lie. Total lie. I'm freaking the fuck out.

Jalen's supposed to pick me up for dinner with his parents, and as the time comes closer, I feel myself losing my mind. I'm sweating profusely, and being unable to find one decent piece of clothing isn't helping.

"You're definitely freaking out," Daniel says gently. He stands from his place on my bed, checking his watch. "What time is Jalen coming?"

"Soon!" I shout in his ear. I shoot him an apologetic look, before shouting, "Help me!"

"I approved of the first three dresses you tried on," Daniel says, sending me a small smile though it's clear he's losing his patience.

"What about this one?" I ask, motioning with my hand to the navy blue dress I'm currently wearing.

Daniel glances down and grimaces, covering it with a smile after.

"It's, uh," he begins lying. I send him a dry look, which results in him quickly saying, "It's not a good choice for this dinner."

"Just for the dinner, or for everything?"

"It could be good for... hanging around," he says in a slightly higher pitched voice.

I nod my head, making a mental note to trash the dress when I get home.

My bedroom door slams open, Noah's annoying face standing on the other side of it. He reaches an arm out to Daniel, motioning for him to step closer. Once he does, Noah wraps his arms around him. "Danny, please forgive me for being late and making you suffer in Lynnie's presence."

I raise my middle finger his way.

"It wasn't the worst way to spend the last ten minutes," Daniel jokes, voice muffled from being pushed against Noah's shoulder, but he makes no effort to stop it.

Noah's eyes scan the room, filled with dresses and skirts and heels thrown all over. "I feel even more sorry, now."

I shove both of them. "I'm dying over here, and you two are being useless."

"Lyndon, I—" Daniel tries defending.

Noah cuts him off. "Hey, you wanna fuck around with one of the biggest assholes at school? Deal with that shit on your own, then."

I blink at him, shocked at just how much he can't stand Jalen. Daniel doesn't seem shocked at the outburst, though.

"Why don't you call Malia?" Daniel suggests, trying to avoid anymore conversation about Jalen.

"I don't know..." I drag out, seriously doubting she can help me.

"Nope, perfect idea. Go do that. Bye," Noah says, whisking Daniel away and slamming my door shut behind him.

Kay. I guess calling Malia can't hurt.

Before I can change my mind, I'm dialing her number, doubting she'll even answer.

"Hey," comes the voice of my ever elusive cousin. "Is this important?"

"Nice to hear from you too, Malia," I say sarcastically. "I'm doing good, and you?"