26 | The Masquerade

2 6
The Masquerade

The next two weeks fly by.

It's as if I'm in some sort of trance, oblivious to everything and everyone around me.

The reasoning for this?

Jalen Vincenzo Uccello.

After our talk in my backyard, Jalen convinced me he was all in, and he successfully washed away any lingering doubts by proving just that.

Every night ended with a phone call between us, no matter the time or day or what each of us had been up to before. One of us always called, and the other always answered, and neither of us closed our eyes for the night without hearing the other's voice—even if only for one minute.

The first few days back to lunch had been rocky, as both Jalen and I struggled to be with one another while being with everyone else. We've been sitting with the group occasionally, but the truth is, I prefer our alternative: sneaking off to the bleachers.

Slowly, Jalen's begun liking that idea better, too, because we spent every day this last week running off to the bleachers when David or Dedra or Malia or any of the rest aren't paying attention.

David had of course called out for us, shouting out something I didn't pick up on. Whether Jalen had heard him or not, he chose to turn around and flashed him a smirk, before grabbing my hand and walking toward the doors faster.

Neither of us looked back after that, and that marked the last day we even considered trying to still sit with them all.

I'm realizing we're better when we're on our own. I'm not sure how healthy or okay that is, all I know is I prefer having Jalen all to myself.

Sounds selfish, and maybe a little too needy, but who could blame me? We work better when it's just us, and I know for a fact that these last two weeks have been some of the best of my life because I spent them with only him.

Between the late night calls, and the alone time on the bleachers, and purposely missing a ride with Noah so Jalen could take me to and from school, and spending any chance I could sneaking into his house—it's clear things go great when we're alone.

Unfortunately, a few other things are becoming clearer as well.

The relationship Jalen has with his parents is alarming.

I knew it was never normal, because, really, who uses their child as a pawn in order to gain more money? That whole situation with Cortney and her parents already showed me how insane his family is. But being in their house, especially when I'm not supposed to be, shows a whole other perspective.

Cortney and the arrangement they made is just Jalen's parents way of trying to control him. But how they treat him, how they talk to him and make him feel, is something else. That's not control. That's some mentally abusive shit.

Anytime Jalen even thinks he hears his parents, or believes they could be on their way home, his whole demeanor changes.

The few times his mother did stumble into the room, Jalen had rushed me into a hiding spot, panic overtaking his eyes. But the second he faced his mother, none of that showed.

Jalen remained stoic and still, unwavering under her intense glare. A completely different person, someone I couldn't recognize, and truthfully, never want to meet.

It made me wonder if Jalen only worries that they'll find me in his room again, or if he truly is that good at lying and faking his emotions.

He had only faltered once in the three times his mother barged into his room, and that had only happened when she uttered my name. Jalen had quickly composed himself, and answered her question, happily informing her that we were still dating.