Ch. 1 My Life

Rachel POV
Today is one of my typical days. I work at the University of California as a yearbook supervisor. I supervisor with my student workers on making yearbooks every year for students. Fun fact I graduated from University of California and I was like my students because I worked for student publications.
Today we are updating the yearbook with more pictures that we took this past weekend.

Rachel: Okay guys. I looked over your pictures taken over the weekend at the campus events and they are amazing. I didn't even need to edit them.

Everyone got so happy and excited. These kids are so talented.

Rachel: So our next project is to get some sent for campus newspaper and start making an outline to where they go in the yearbook. Let's get started.

Everyone began to work on the project. If you are wondering how many of us it is: it's only 7 of us. Which isn't bad. I like it. Plus, everyone schedule is flexible. They have to deal with classes, homework, other clubs they are apart of, etc. So it's easy for everyone.
A few hours pass and it's time to close up. It's about 5:30. All my students left around 3:30. I lock up and I go to my car. On my way I see one of my students crying on the bench. I go to see what's wrong.

Rachel: Hey, Lola what's wrong?
Lola: Nothing.

I sit next to her.

Rachel: Oh I know it's nothing. You can tell me.

Another thing about me, I tell my students to always come to me if they have a problem. I'll be there to help them.

Lola: Well, ummm——m-m-my boyfriend j-j-just broke up with me.
Rachel: Oh no. I'm so sorry.
Lola: I don't understand why. He knows that I'm in school and I work as well. And he doesn't understand that I can't always spent time with him.
Rachel: Oh Lola. You are a beautiful and smart young lady. You have a bright future ahead of you. Don't let what happened bring you down.
Lola: On top of that, my economics professor is giving me a hard time.
Rachel: What do you mean?
Lola: I when I submit my work to him online and when I get the feedback he tells me that I did everything wrong. When I know I did everything right. It's already hurting my grade enough.
Rachel: Who is your professor?
Lola: Dr. Henry.
Rachel: Oh I had him when I was a student.
Lola: How did you pass?
Rachel: I got a tutor to help me. I can give you his email for you to contact him. His name is Thomas Sims. He's amazing and he helped me lot.
Lola: Thank you so much.

She hugs me and I hug her back.

Rachel: You're welcome sweetie. Now go home and take some time to yourself and don't let what's bringing you down bother you. Stay being you and don't ever give up.

I leave and go to my car to go home. On my way home, I can't help but think how that was literally me. I was just like Lola. But a bit more complicated.
You see I had a boyfriend when I saw in college. He was amazing and everything. He and I were together for 3 years. We dated from my junior year of college till I got my job as a yearbook supervisor. He was always mad that I never spent time with him because I was working. I had to make a living some type of way. Plus, little did I know he was cheating on me and we broke up. So yeah I gave up on love and just focused on my job. And now I'm the coordinator for the yearbook staff. The only people that know everything about my heartbreak are these people:

My best friend, Harper. She and I have been friends for ages. She was always there for me and I was that same way with her. I love her so much that she's like a sister to me.

 I love her so much that she's like a sister to me

My older brother, Jacob. He's my everything as well. He is protective of me. And we always have each other's back. If someone messes with one of us then they have to deal with one of us. Plus, he's married to Harper. They had a crush on each other in high school and I hooked them up and it worked like a charm. He's the best big brother I can ask for.

 He's the best big brother I can ask for

Harper's parents, Mrs. Melissa and Mr. Craig. Well......I guess I can say they are my "mom" and "dad", but I call them "Mama Mel" and "Papa C". You see when Jacob and I were in high school. I was a freshman and he was a sophomore our parents died in a car accident. It was a bad time for Jacob and I. We were so lost and depressed. I remember that I could have lost Jacob because he took way worse than me. We had no family members near in the LA area to take care of us and we didn't want to be in foster care because that could split us up. So Mama Mel and Papa C was really close friends with my parents. They had known them since they were college. Right after they died, they took Jacob and I in their home and they raised and took care of us. Pretty much they adopted us. We were so grateful for them and Harper was even happier that we were living with them. We love them so much and they treated us as if we were their own.

But anyway, they are the only people that know about my heartbreak and they know to never bring it up

But anyway, they are the only people that know about my heartbreak and they know to never bring it up. They did everything to cheer me up and help me get through it. It was so hard. It took me a long tine. A year almost. But I was able to because I had my job to keep me busy. Plus, I applied for grad school at that time and got my graduate degree within a year and a half. And now I'm happy with where I'm at and going in life.