Chapter 12:Forever, forever

During the Spring Welcoming Feast, Gu Hong Jian paid close attention to the activities of the second and third princes the entire time. The two of them really were on bad terms. The second and fourth princes chatted with smiles, occasionally glancing over at the third prince with disdain. The third prince also had an unsightly expression as he bowed his head to eat, occasionally speaking a few words to the people beside him.

Accordingly, Gu Hong Jian watched them the entire time, but she subconsciously turned her head at times to glance at Zuo Ning Yan.

Zuo Ning Yan was indeed extremely beautiful. Her dress swaying gently in the spring breeze just like the several princesses, Zuo Ning Yan stood out the most in her white fluttering dress. Every frown and every smile could all be painted and immortalized.

Gu Hong Jian watched as Zuo Ning Yan smiled with chopsticks in hand, her fingers as spotlessly white as scallions.

Gu Hong Jian glanced at her fingers...

She bowed her head to examine them. Because she worked for a living and practiced martial arts, her fingers looked very rough and unsightly.

Gu Hong Jian somewhat embarrassedly drew her hands back into her sleeves.

Lin Si Ze was completely ignorant to this. After returning, he consulted, as usual, about the mission with Gu Hong Jian. The two finally resolved to act in two days. According to the second prince's habits, he stealthily sneaked out of the palace and returned later that day. During those nights, because he didn't want to be discovered, the second prince was surrounded by fewer Imperial bodyguards. This made it an exceptionally good time to act.

And the one to do so...was Gu Hong Jian.

Lin Si Ze was a bit anxious. "Can you do it?"

Gu Hong Jian split the firewood in half with her bare hands. Light on her feet, she vaulted onto the eaves of the palace and looked down on him as she remarked, "What do you think?"

Lin Si Ze said, "...I worry not about your martial arts, but rather your mentality. After all, you have never genuinely assassinated someone before."

"..." Gu Hong Jian herself was stunned. Soon after, she exclaimed, "That's of no importance! This matter will always have a first time; isn't it just a wave of a blade? There should be no problems..."

Lin Si Ze reached out with one hand to her. "Come down."

Gu Hong Jian smoothly descended serenely, and Lin Si Ze softly patted her head. "...It's hard on you."

Gu Hong Jian realized at this time that Lin Si Ze was unexpectedly growing as tall as she was.

This guy, how could he grow so quickly...abominable.

Gu Hong Jian touched her head, pondering this.

ღღღ

Two days passed in the blink of an eye. Gu Hong Jian had gone and prepared to assassinate the second prince by the busy Vermilion Bird Gate on her lonesome many times.

The imperial palace had a curfew. In the evening, one could neither enter nor exit the palace gates. Vermillion Bird Gate was rather special, however, as a waist medallion would allow one to enter and exit at night. Therefore, the assassination must occur here.

On that same evening, Gu Hong Jian dressed in dark clothes in preparation, a black cloth masking her face. She hid on the eaves above Vermillion Bird Gate, coldly watching carriages pass through.

Truthfully, Lin Si Ze was extremely anxious and even wanted to tag along, but Gu Hong Jian argued, "You will only hold things up and perhaps expose yourself," making him turn back.