Chapter 15:She had kept those words in mind constantly, but he had forgotten.

September 18th, Píngchāng Year 6, proved to be a sunny day with nary a cloud in the sky.

Gu Hong Jian lazily beat back a yawn and floated behind Lin Si Ze as he headed to Zuo fǔ.

Today was Zuo Ning Yan's death anniversary. It had already been eight years since she had died. Eight years ago, Gu Hong Jian had also gone to Zuo fǔ.

Zuo fǔ had not changed much since that time. Past the high yet plain and simple entrance was the front courtyard. Walking past a veranda, which would accentuate a woman of poise and beauty during a stroll, would lead to the great hall. The entirety of Zuo fǔ was not too luxurious, but it was still elegant in its simplicity—just like its Master, Zuo Xiang.

Eight years ago, Gu Hong Jian had passed through the entirety of this place to arrive at Zuo Ning Yan's room. Inside her room, Zuo Ning Yan had been waiting for the bride escort procession. Gu Hong Jian should have taken this opportunity to carry Zuo Ning Yan away, but she had not.

She had stayed nearby, hesitating for a long while, until an elated grandmother entered the room only to rush out frantically.

Now, Zuo Ning Yan's old room was absolutely empty, but someone probably still came in to clean. From the outside looking in, it was still as clean as before.

Lin Si Ze had brought along two Imperial bodyguards along with two or three shadow guards before subduedly following Zuo Ning Hao's lead toward Zuo Ning Yan's room, though he stayed outside.

Zuo Ning Hao asked, "Your majesty, do you not wish to enter?"

"No." Lin Si Ze shook his head.

Zuo Ning Hao did not speak any more and simply nodded. He left with Lin Si Ze for the ancestral hall. Originally, unmarried women who died young were not allowed to have their memorial tablets enter the ancestral hall, but probably because of how excessively Zuo Xiang had cherished this daughter, the Zuo family's latest memorial tablet was Zuo Ning Yan's.

Gu Hong Jian trailed behind them in the direction of the ancestral hall, but she saw that, within the ancestral hall, the Zuo family had already offered sacrifices to Zuo Ning Yan earlier in the morning. Now, apart from two servants, there was no one else.

Upon seeing Zuo Ning Hao, those two servants courteously called out to him. They sent somewhat puzzled glances toward Lin Si Ze but did not dare to question too much. On behalf of the two men, the servants prepared incense sticks and lit them before handing them over.

Lin Si Ze held onto the incense stick and closed his eyes, paying respect thrice to Zuo Ning Yan. A servant then received the incense stick and inserted it into the vessel for his sake.

Gu Hong Jian silently watched on, thinking, In the future, when Lin Si Ze pays respect to her, will his face look so heartbroken and sincere?

No, he might not even feel inclined to pay respect to her.

Lin Si Ze gazed at Zuo Ning Yan's memorial tablet, his gaze as gentle and soft as water yet just as dark and profound as ink—as if, within his eyes, there existed countless feelings of both love and despair.

Those eyes brimming with emotion would never belong to her, but she became intoxicated all the same.

It was already September 18th. It would take about three to four more days before news of her death should arrive.

In fact, Gu Hong Jian reckoned that Lin Si Ze was probably driven crazy by sorrow, so he sent her off to Hu Prefecture with the clear wish for her death.

He knew that back then, she had the strongest connection to Zuo Ning Yan's death. This, he knew for a fact, so he wanted her to pay with her life.

Lin Si Ze could not personally act, however, so he sent her to Hu Prefecture instead.