Madison

"Hey are you okay?" Jessica asked, her head jolting up as Jay entered the break room about an hour later. "What happened?"

"Him and his mate put up a fight." Jay said, heading for the coffee machine. "I'm alright though, I've had worse. Hows the work going?" He asked, taking the cup of coffee he had poured and sitting next to Jessica.

"Honestly, I haven't been to school since he lost his job." Jessica said.

"So what were you doing?" Jay asked, knowing she had some sort of motive behind getting him to leave earlier.

"Promise you won't arrest me?" Jessica said, Jay nodded and she span her laptop round so the screen was facing him.

"What am I looking at?" Jay asked, scanning the writing.

"Medical records for a girl called Madison Gerwitz, she dropped of the grid when she was three. Theres no missing persons report or death certificate." Jessica explained. "It lines up to what I know." She added.

"I told you so." Jay said with a smile. "I actually came in here to say that we've got your foster father in custody." Jay said.

"So case closed, I go back into the system." Jessica said sadly.

"Nope, my boss pulled some strings. Looks like your stuck with me." Jay said, smiling as Jessicas face lit up.

"Seriously!" She said happily. "I have to ask, why?"

"I owe my life to your brother in more ways than one, I think looking after you until he gets back will be a good way to start paying him back." Jay explained. "Plus, you're a good kid with a bright future." He added.

"Thank you." Jessica said.

"So Jessica or Madison, I suppose you best get used to being around here and the team." Jay said with a smirk.

"I think Adam will be happy for the help." Jessica said, with a smirk.

"You met Adam?" Jay asked.

"Yeah, he came in to ge a coffee when you were out. We were talking about computers and he really didn't know much." Jessica said.

"Its not part of his job description, when Mouse left he had the most training." Jay explained.

"Oh you must be crap then." Jessica said with a mischevious grin.

"Watch it you." Jay said with a smile, happy to see her acting more like a normal teenager. "Where did you even learn to hack?" He asked.

"One of my old foster dads was really into computers, he worked for the police, tracking phones and stuff. He taught me the basics, the rest I just picked up." Jessica explained. "As for the name thing." She said hesitantly.

"Hey Jessica, I thought you might want to hear this." Hailey interrupted, opening the door. Confused, Jessica glanced across at Jay, he shrugged and they both stood up.

"I was digging into your foster dads past and found records of his wife." Ruzek said.

"I remembered you mentioning the photos that he had around the house and thought you would want to know this." Upton explained herself.

"Her name was Jessica Evans and she died 20 months ago in a car accident. It looks like they were happily married." Ruzek said.

"So I was his twisted version of a replacement?" Jessica asked nobody in particular. "I don't want to keep her name, I don't want the reminder." She stated, turning to face Jay.

"Okay." Jay agreed. "Madison it is."

"Madison?" Kim asked.

"Its my birth name. When I was first put into the foster system I was too young to remember my real name so they just let my foster parents name me, I must've had over seven names." Jessica explained.

"I had a hunch and pulled some medical records and found her birth parents and real name." Jay said, stopping her from incriminating herself.

"So are they coming to get her?" Ruzek asked.

"Her dads not around and her mums not interested so I'm fostering her for a bit." Jay said.

"So I'll be around to help with the computer stuff if needed." Madison said to Adam, earning a few laughs from the rest of the unit.

"He needs it." Atwater commented, clapping Adam on the back.

"You two can head off." Voight said, coming out of his office.

"Thanks Sarge." Jay said.

----------

"Halstead!" Platt called as they came down the stairs from Intelligence.

"What can I do for you Sargent." Jay said, walking across to the desk, Madison a few steps behind him.

"I didn't catch your name yesterday?" Platt said, ignoring Jay.

"Madison." She said, "I'm sorry for rushing out of here, I guess I was hoping for a different answer."

"Its cool kid, if anyone can answer your questions about Mouse its this guy." Platt said.

"Thanks Platt." Jay said, steering Madison out of the building. "I think that's the nicest shes ever been to anyone."

----------

A couple of hours later and Jay and Madison are sat on his sofa watching a film.

"One second." Jay said, excusing himself from the room as his phone rang. "Hailey, is everything alright?" He asked, leaning against the kitchen counter.

"You tell me. Fostering a victim from a case? I know you said you had a connection to this girl but this is extreme." Hailey said.

"Look, I'll explain tomorrow." Jay said, hanging up on her.

"I'm guessing she wants to know why I'm here?" Madison said as Jay sat back down. "Have you  told anyone?" 

"Nope." Jay said. "I'm gonna tell them tomorrow if its okay with you?"

"Of course it is."