She's Taking Her Time

"Is Maddie okay?" Jay asked as soon as he saw Will.

"She's just got out of surgery." Will said. "It was rough. They've induced a coma to give her body time to heal." Will said.

"How long for?" Jay asked nervously.

"I've got no idea, she crashed three times on the table. I thought we'd lost her." Will said.

"I thought it was just a piece of glass in her side?" Rojas asked.

"The glass had cut an artery and when it was removed the hole grew." Will said. "Once they'd applied a patch to cover the hole she'd crashed twice, her heart rate wasn't improving and they discovered she was bleeding internally."

"Is she gonna be okay?" Jay asked.

"The next 24 hours are going to be crucial." Will said, unable to give a definite answer. "I've spoken to Marcel and he's not happy with you getting up and going to see her just yet." Will said as Jay began to get up.

"I don't care, I want to be with her." Jay protested.

"You've just had surgery Jay, you're not going anywhere." Hailey said, pushing him back onto the bed.

"I'll go and sit with her." Rojas said, standing up. "So she's not alone."

"Thank you." Jay said.

"I'll take you to her room." Will said, allowing Vanessa to follow him out of the room.

"Upton." Hailey said answering her phone as soon as it rang. "Yep, I'm still with him." She said. "I'll show him." She said a few seconds later. "Maddie's out of surgery, they've had to put her in a coma." She explained to the person on the other end of the phone.

"Is everything okay?" Jay asked as Hailey hung up the phone and went onto her messages to find the photo Ruzek had sent her.

"Yep, they think they've found the car on a pod a few blocks away from the crash." Hailey said, showing him the photo.

"That's it." Jay said, studying the photo. "But there was a guy in the passenger seat."

"Are you sure?" Upton asked, "This was only taken a few minutes after the crash."

"I'm certain, he was white, brown hair, they looked like they could've been brothers." Jay said.

"could you see what top her was wearing?" Upton asked.

"Um, it was dark, maybe navy?" Jay said. Upton quickly sent this new information to Ruzek and it only took a few minutes for another photo to come through. It was a photo someone had taken of the crash whilst 51 were there that had been posted to social media.

"Can you see him on here?" Upton asked, Jay took the phone from her and zoomed in on the crowd and searched all of their faces.

"Him." Jay said, zooming in on a white guy, with brown hair, a navy t-shirt and a black backpack. "That looks like Maddie's bag as well."

"I'll let the guys know." Upton said, quickly sending another text to Ruzek.

"They won't be able to get into Maddie's laptop." Jay said randomly. "It's heavily encrypted, only she knows how to get into it."

"Do you know if there's a tracker or GPS in it?" Hailey asked. 

"Probably." Jay said. "But she would probably have to put a code in or something to find it."

"How did she get so good at hacking anyway?" Upton asked.

"I have no idea." Jay said. "One of her old foster dads was a NYPD tech expert and she picked some stuff up then, but I don't know when she got this good."

"What are you thinking about?" Upton asked when Jay fell quiet.

"Mouse." Jay said.

"Maddie's brother?" She asked.

"Yeah." Jay said. "I took her in to protect her, to repay him for all he's done for me but she's almost died twice already."

"That's not your fault, and Mouse will understand." Hailey said.

"He saved my life so many times I've lost count and I just wanted to repay him." Jay ranted.

"Nothing can ever repay that." Hailey said. "But what you've done for Maddie will show how thankful you are."

----------

"How are Halstead and Maddie?" Voight asked, walking out of his office as he saw Atwater hang up the phone.

"Jay's trying to get out of his bed but Maddie's still in a coma." Atwater said.

It had been almost six hours since the accident and it was getting late.

"I want everyone to go home and get some sleep, we'll pick this up again in the morning." Voight ordered, knowing that the team had hit several dead ends and were beginning to grow frustrated.

"We need Maddie to wake up." Ruzek said as they walked out of the district. "Our best lead is her laptop but none of us have the experience to track it down."

----------

The next morning the team got to the 21st as soon as they could hoping that there would be some new leads on the driver.

Jay was still in hospital but they had let him get into a wheelchair to go see Maddie, who was still in a coma and Upton had way too much fun pushing her partner around.

"How long till she wakes up?" Jay asked, sitting in the wheelchair next to her bed with Will just behind him.

"Anytime now." Will said. "She's taking her time but the crash could've brought up some old injuries that we won't know about until she wakes up."

"You hear that Mads, Will's calling you slow." Jay joked, gently squeezing her hand.

"I ain't calling her slow, she's much faster than me." Will said.

"That's an understatement." A quiet voice croaked.

"There she is." Jay said, running his thumb over the back of her hand whilst Will checked the monitors and asked how she was.

"I feel like I've just been hit by a truck." She said, a small smirk on her face.

"So you remember the crash?" Jay asked, hoping she could remember a detail he couldn't.

"Yeah, you called the car suspicious, we pulled out, it hit us and I blacked out." Maddie recalled. "Next thing I remember the firefighter, Matt, was next to me."

"You don't remember anything else?" Jay asked.

"No. Why? What's going on?" Maddie asked. Jay manoeuvred himself in the wheelchair so he was closer to her despite a glare from Will and held her hand firmly in his.

"Whoever did this, took your school bag." Jay said. "It's looking like you were the target."