Lucky

"How are they Doc?" Voight said, rushing towards Will as he walked into the waiting room.

"Dr Marcel has taken Jay into surgery, he's got quite a lot of internal bleeding but Dr Marcel is optimistic." Will explained.

"And Maddie?" Rojas asked.

"She's on her way up to surgery now, she's got a large piece of glass embedded in her side and they're gonna try their best to get it out without any complications." Will said, trying not to show his worry for the kid. "What happened? I heard it was a car crash?" Will asked.

"Yeah, it looks like a hit and run." Voight said. "We're working towards catching the guys but theres not much to go off."

"I'll let you know as soon as either of them are out of surgery." Will said before going back into the E.D.

"Upton, Rojas, you two stay here. The rest of you, go to the scene and work out what happened." Voight ordered.

"Maddie!" Will called, running to catch up with his niece as she was wheeled towards the elevators.

"Is Jay okay?" Maddie panicked.

"He's fine, internal bleeding, he's in surgery but they're confident he's gonna pull through." Will said, taking her hand in his.

"It's me your worried about?" Maddie said, her voice breaking as she saw the look of concern he was trying to hide that she had assumed was for Jay.

"We need to get her into surgery." The nurse said, beginning to move the bed away from Will.

"You're gonna be fine kid." Will said, giving her hand a final squeeze before letting the nurses wheel her away.

----------

"The initial impact was on the drivers side, the car rolled once and ended up there." The tech explained the scene. "The car was smaller and grey, I should be able to get a make and model once I've got back to the lab and ran the paint." She added. "No one died?" She asked.

"Driver and passenger are both in surgery." Ruzek said.

"The driver's pretty lucky, I've seen people die from less than this." She said, unaware that the driver was a cop.

"Did you recover a backpack from inside the car?" Burgess asked, looking at the evidence that was around and spotting Jay's bag he kept in the trunk.

"Only that one." The tech replied, nodding to the one Burgess was looking at.

"Are you sure?" Atwater asked. "The passenger was a school kid, her school bag should be here."

"I've not seen it." The tech said. "I'll give you a call if I find it." She said, sensing an urgency about the bag.

"So is this about Maddie?" Ruzek asked as they walked away from the tech to canvas the area for cameras.

"It's looking that way." Burgess said.

"But why when Jay's there? Surely it would've been easier to get her at school or when she's alone?" Ruzek asked.

"To make it look like Jay was the target?" Atwater said unsurely.

"But taking her bag makes it obvious." Ruzek said.

"Jay broke their routine today by picking her up from school, she normally gets the bus." Burgess realised.

"So the plan was probably to get her somewhere between school and the district." Ruzek said as Atwater got his phone out to ring Upton.

----------

"Thanks for letting me know, I'll ask her as soon as she's awake." Upton said, hanging up the phone.

"Anything?" Rojas said, looking at her expectantly.

"They can't find Maddie's bag." Upton said. "I'm just gonna double check with Will that it wasn't brought here before we jump to conclusions." She said, walking into the E.D. looking for the ginger doctor. "Hey Maggie, where's Will?" She asked.

"He said he was going to watch Maddie's surgery." Maggie said. "Is it something I can help with?" 

"We're looking for her bag? It's a plain black backpack?" Upton asked.

"I've not seen it sorry." Maggie said. "I don't think it's here, Will had her stuff, it was just a coat."

"Thanks." Upton said, quickly texting Atwater that her bag was definitely gone before going back into the waiting room and explaining the situation to Rojas.

"I thought she was just the tech girl?" Rojas asked, she had been in Intelligence for a few weeks and she hadn't seen Maddie do anything other than type on her laptop.

"She is." Upton said. "It could be a case she worked with us on, it could be something from her past, she doesn't really like talking about her time in the system." Upton said. "There was a case a few months back that she went undercover for us, that's been passed up to the FBI but she was the person who broke the case."

"So there's a lot of people it could be." Rojas said.

"It'd be more if Jay was the target." Upton said. "They're gonna start with the FBI case then go through the other cases she's worked before digging up her past."

----------

A few hours later and Jay was out of surgery and awake.

"We managed to control the bleeding and there was no major damage, just a lot of little bleeds." Dr Marcell explained to Jay, Upton and Rojas. "If all goes well, which I'm hopeful it will, you should be out of here in a few days."

"There's no way of getting that moved closer?" Jay asked, his hatred for hospitals pushing forward.

"Unfortunately not." Dr Marcell said, turning and leaving the room.

"Where's Maddie?" Jay asked, realising Rojas was there and she would've gone with Maddie.

"Still in surgery." Upton said.

"Is she okay? How bad is it?" Jay panicked.

"She had a piece of glass embedded in her side, Will's been there as much as he can." Upton said. "Can you remember anything?"

"It was a grey two-door, there were two guys inside." Jay recalled. "It looked familiar, Maddie was talking to me but I was trying to work out where I knew it from."

"Can you think of anything?" Rojas asked. "From a case? Has it been following you?"

"It was sat outside the apartment the other day." Jay said. "I've seen it following us a few times." Jay added. "Fuck, I should've seen it. This shouldn't of happened."

"There's no way you could have known." Rojas comforted.

"You said 'us', who was with you?" Upton asked.

"Always Maddie." Jay said, pausing for a second before something clicked. "Was she the target?"

"It's looking that way." Upton said.

"Why? She's just a kid?" Jay asked.

"Your guess is as good as ours." Upton said.

Authors note: Two updates in a day! Wow!

Anyway, if anyone wants to correct my spelling of Dr Marcel please do, the guys got a strange name and I have no idea how to spell it