Nothing We Can Do

"Will, you're taking her to trauma 2." Maggie called as ambulance 61 pulled into the bay.

"Maddie Gerwitz, 16, lacerations to her face and head, possible broken ribs, blood pressures slightly high but that's expected." Foster handed her over.

"You alright to hop over Mad." Will said, knowing how fiercely independent his brothers foster kid was. Will did a quick assessment and hooked her up to a few machines before speaking again. "I'm gonna get a nurse to come in and stitch those cuts up before sending you up to X-Ray. I would like to keep you overnight so we can keep an eye on your concussion."

"Thanks doc." Maddie said. "Do I have to stay overnight? I hate hospitals." Maddie asked.

"You've been spending too much time around him." Will joked. "And yes, you're staying."

----------

"Your X-Ray came back clean and those old fractures have healed up nicely." Will explained to Maddie.

"Does that mean I can go?" Maddie pleaded.

"I'm still gonna keep you in for the concussion." Will said. "I'll come check up on you in a bit." Will said before leaving.

"Voight wants to know if you're up to doing some work." Jay asked.

"Definitely, I need something to take my mind away from this place." Jay smirked as he replied to his boss. Stubbornness definitely ran in her family. "Kim and Antonio are gonna bring it here for you." Jay said.

The two were sat for about an hour just having a laugh and talking about random stuff until Kim and Antonio came.

"Hey guys." Burgess said, walking into the room, followed by Antonio. Maddie moved around in the bed so that she was sat up and Antonio placed her school bag onto the bed next to her.

"So what am I doing?" Maddie asked, quickly logging onto her computer.

"Get as much information as you can off this." Antonio said, handing her a second laptop.

"Isn't that a tech's job?" Maddie asked as she connected the two laptops together.

"It was encrypted. Ruzek tried to get into it and..." Burgess began to explain.

"The hard drive auto-wiped." Maddie said as she saw the problem. "Tell him to just leave all the computer work to me in the future." Maddie said as her fingers effortlessly glided across her keyboard.

"Will do." Burgess said with a small smile.

"We need to go check up on Sofia but we'll swing back on our way out." Antonio said.

"Oh." Burgess paused in the doorway and came back in. "Kev asked me to give you this." Kim said, gently passing the necklace to Maddie.

"Thank you." Maddie said, quickly slipping it back on, and allowing her hand to linger over the ring for a second before getting back to work. "How many other girls did they do this to?" Maddie asked, her voice quiet as if she was scared of the answer.

"You were the third girl they sold to that guy, that's all we know." Jay said, knowing it was best to just be honest with this girl as she could hack into any camera in Intelligence and listen to their conversations.

"There's at least thirty conversations on this profile alone." Maddie said.

"You got all the data back that fast?" Jay asked, leaning to look at her computer screen.

"The rest of the data's still restoring but I got all his passwords back first so I can just log into the account from my laptop. Luckily the website stores the chats on the cloud, not on the participants computers." Maddie explained.

"I'm gonna act like I understand what you just said." Jay joked.

"All the information you want is not stored on his hard drive, so when Adam wiped everything, it survived." Maddie explained it in simpler terms. "So I can hack into the cloud and get the information back pretty easily."

"Okay, that I understand." Jay said.

"Looks like there was more than one Brad account on this computer." Maddie said, noticing several accounts registered to the same IP address.

"How many chat's on each one?" Jay asked, watching as she flicked between accounts.

"I'd guess 50 maybe 60." Maddie said. "Some are still active though, so that's a good sign."

"We're gonna have to get the FBI involved on this one." Jay said. "When's the oldest chat from?"

"Two years ago." Maddie said.

"I'm gonna call Voight, can you start listing, names, photos, when they were last online, anything you've got on these girls." Jay said.

"I'm on it." Maddie said, opening a word document and starting from the oldest chat and working her way forward.

After explaining what they had found to Voight, Jay continued to sit with Maddie whilst she went through all the chats.

"54 girls total." Maddie said after almost three hours of working her way through every chat. "9 are still online, 3 bailed out, take out me and Sofia and that leaves 40 girls out there somewhere." 

"Mark yours as a UC and Sofia as saved then email the file over to Voight." Jay instructed.

"Whats gonna happen now?" Maddie asked once she hit send.

"Voight's passing it on to the FBI. Its there case now." Jay said. "They'll keep us in the loop but theres nothing we can do anymore."

Authors note: Antonio's last chapter  :(