Almost As Stubborn As Jay

"You and Rojas seem to get on pretty well." Jay commented as they sat on his sofa watching the game. Maddie wasn't really giving it her full attention as she was finishing a few pieces of homework.

"We've got a lot in common, plus she's a nice person." Maddie said, sliding her books back into her bag and leaning back into the sofa. "You think Voight's gonna keep her around?" Maddie asked.

"She fits in but it takes a while for him to trust new people." Jay said.

"Guess I'm an exception to that rule." Maddie joked.

"You're family, Voight's a big believer in that." Jay said.

----------

"You getting the bus today?" Becca asked as they walked out of school.

"Um..." Maddie hesitated, quickly checking her phone. "No, Jay's picking me up." She said, seeing the text seconds before she saw his car in the parking lot.

"See you tomorrow!" Becca called as the two parted so she could get the bus.

"Hey." Maddie said as  she got into Jay's car, he looked up from his phone with a smile. "This is a surprise." She added, it was rare that Jay picked her up as he was normally working a case.

"We've not got a case, I've spent the entire day catching up on paperwork and I was bored." Jay explained as he pulled away from the school.

Maddie went on to tell him about a few things that had happened to her that day like her computer science teacher being confused by a tab making itself full screen.

"Jay?" Maddie asked, realising Jay wasn't paying attention, it didn't bother her if he was just daydreaming but her seemed intrigued by a car. They were sat at a red light and that car was on their right.

"Sorry." Jay apologised as the lights began to change colour. "I feel like I recognise that car." He explained as they pulled out into the junction when the light turned green.

The rest was a blur. Tyre screeching, glass smashing, the feeling of rolling over and over.

Maddie opened her eyes but quickly shut them again as the light temporarily blinded her. She felt light headed and there was a sharp pain in her side when she moved but she guessed she would be fine.

"Jay!" She called, trying to find her foster father without moving. She froze when her hand landed on his, she could feel the blood on it.

She had been so focused on listening to Jay's breathing to remind herself he was alive that she didn't hear the sirens approaching.

"Can you tell me your name kid?" A figure asked appearing at the window.

"Maddie." She replied.

"I'm Matt." He said before calling orders out to his team. "Kidd, get a c-collar on her, Gallo get the jaws!"

"You need to help him." Maddie said. "He's not breathing properly." 

"What's your dad's name?" Casey asked as Kidd slipped the c-collar on.

"Jay, he's a cop." Maddie said as Casey shouted more orders, one of which was to call Voight.

"I'm gonna get you out and Squad's gonna get Jay out okay?" Casey said.

"Okay." Maddie said as the loud noise of the jaws wrenching her door open filled the car.

----------

"Dr Halstead, April!" Maggie said as she got the page. "Jay's kids on her way in, you're taking her to trauma 4." She ordered.

"Jay?" Will asked as he headed towards the doors. 

"He's in the ambo behind, I'll keep you informed." Maggie said, placing a caring hand on his shoulder before calling Crockett to take Jay.

"Theres a large piece of glass in her side, we couldn't clear c-spine without disturbing it. Heart rates low but steady." Brett handed Maddie off to Will.

"Hey kid." Will said as he pushed her into trauma 4. 

"Hey." Maddie said, the adrenaline wearing off making her sluggish and increasing the pain.

"Have you administered any medication?" Will asked, noticing this.

"No, she said she was fine." Foster said.

"She's almost as stubborn as Jay." Brett joked before the two paramedics left.

"That's not something to be proud of." Will said, noticing the small smile on Maddie's face. "Push morphine." Will instructed.

"I'm fine." Maddie said, trying to stop April.

"Maddie." Will warned. "Let me help." He said, remembering the first time he had met this girl and how scared she had been. Since then he had seen her a lot and she had been back in the E.D. once but she wasn't bad then and this was probably bringing back bad memories.

"Okay." Maddie said defeated.

"Can you wiggle your toes for me?" Will asked, watching the bed for movement which came immediately. "Okay, and touch your chin to your chest for me." Will said, removing the collar and then doing a few more tests before he was satisfied that her spine was good. "Let's get an X-Ray." Will said, stepping back so that April could move the machine over Maddie. "I'm gonna get you taken up for surgery to get that removed." Will said, noticing how harmful the glass would be to remove, it was pressing against an artery which it could quite easily nick, or it could already be damaged and the glass might be the only thing keeping her alive.

"How's Jay?" Maddie asked.

"I'm gonna go and find out and I'll tell you once you get back okay?" Will said, squeezing her hand as April left to get the emergency surgery booked in.

"Okay." Maddie said, squeezing back.