She's Smart

"I still don't feel right about this." Jay complained whilst Upton and Burgess got Maddie prepped.

"Me and Kim will be with her at all times, you won't be far away." Adam listed. "Plus she's smart, she knows what to do, she'll be fine." Adam said, placing a hand on Jays shoulder before walking away.

Jay, Voight and Hailey were all to stay in the van whilst the rest of the team were set up around the park, with Adam and Kim being the closest to the bench where Ellie was going to meet Brad.

Rather than using a traditional listening device, Maddie had altered her phones microphone so that it picked up sound a lot easier so that if anything happened to her she wouldn't get made as a cop.

----------

Maddie had been sat on the bench for about ten minutes when a guy approached her, he was Latino and in his early thirties if she had to guess.

"Hey, Ellie right?" The guy asked sitting next to her.

"Brad?" Maddie asked, acting as if she expected the guy in the photo to actually show up.

"No, I'm his friend Juan." The guy said. Maddie had to suppress a smirk as that was the fakest Latino name she had ever heard.

"Its nice to meet you Juan but I  thought I was meeting Brad?" Maddie said.

"His car wouldn't start so he asked me to meet you so that you weren't sat here waiting for him." Juan explained. "How about I but you a coffee and get to know you a bit? Theres a coffee stand not too far from here."

"Sure." Maddie said, standing up and following him further into the small park. 

Well, it seemed like they were going further into the park but anyone who actually knew the park would know they were heading towards a car park. Having grown up in Caneyville, Jay knew this.

"There ain't a coffee truck on that side of the park." Jay said, ready to jump out of the back of the van.

"Let it play out Halstead." Voight stated.

"She isn't a cop, if this goes sideways, she's not got the training." Jay argued.

"She's smart." Hailey said, placing a hand on his forearm and guiding him back to his seat. "She knows what she's doing."

"I thought you said the coffee place was in the park?" Maddie asked, noticing the signs to the car park were pointing in the same direction that they were heading.

"It is." Juan said, glancing at her to make sure she was still there. "It's just here." He said, turning into the car park.

Maddie was able to scan the car park, her heart rate instantly doubling before she felt the sharp pain in the back of her head as the world went black.

Upton leapt into the drivers seat of the van and sped around to the other side of the park. By the time Jay had jumped out of the back of the van, the rest of the team were stood around holding a smashed phone. Their one line of communication with Maddie.

"As soon as we get back to the district I want to know what car they got in and where it is now." Voight ordered.

----------

Maddie was just regaining consciousness as she felt the car she was in come to a stop. She listened as the engine was cut and two doors opened.

"You got the girl?" She heard a voice ask.

"Yeah, shes in the trunk." One of them said. "We had a problem with our supply so this ones fresh, not broken in. But I hope that won't be a problem?"

"I prefer it that way." The first voice replied.

Maddie clamped her eyes shut as a bright light streamed through the now open trunk.

"She's perfect." The first voice said, using one hand to push a strand of hair away from her eyes. "Hello beautiful." He said as Maddie opened her eyes and they met his. He was older than Juan, maybe 40, white and practically bald. Stereotypical pedo.

He slipped his arms under her and picked her up to transfer her over to his car.

Maddie was wide awake for the entire journey this time. Every time the car turned a corner she would slide across the floor of the empty trunk, she thought about trying to escape but there were a few things preventing this: she was tied up, duct tape keeping her hands and feet together and her mouth closed, she was in a moving car so jumping out was stupid, this guy could easily overpower her if she tried to fight him. So instead she placed her trust in Jay and the rest of Intelligence.

Eventually the car came to a stop and Maddie was picked up again and carried into a house and up the stairs. Once they were in a small room with no furniture other than a mattress in the corner, Maddie was placed down and the duct tape was removed. Maddie sat rubbing her wrists, trying to regain blood flow and ignoring the guy who stood over her.

"Put these on." The guy stated, handing her a pair of pajamas.

"Are you gonna stand there and watch?" Maddie asked as she unsurely got to her feet. When he didn't move, she turned to face a corner and got changed as quickly as she could.

Once she was changed, Maddie stood nervously with her back to the corner of the room whilst his eyes scanned her body, lingering for longer than they should have.

"I thought they said you were fresh?" The guy asked. "Why are you covered in scars?" He said, having noticed the cigarette burns that peppered her back whilst she was getting changed. "And you don't speak. I thought you were the one." He said, anger lacing his voice as he left and slammed the door behind him and locking her in.

Maddie stood for a minute, listening to the distant conversation of the guy on the phone to someone, presumably 'Brad' and 'Juan'.

"She's not fucking fresh! She's scarred, useless!" He shouted angrily down the phone.

Those words chipped away at the walls Maddie had built up since living with Jay and she slid down the wall as memories from living with her last foster father slipped into her mind.

She didn't know how long she was sat there crying for but the small amount of light coming in from the window had left and she was sat in complete darkness.

"Aww, are you crying for mommy and daddy?" Her captor teased as he came back into the room. Maddie flinched at the sound of his voice, making a smirk creep onto his face. "Maybe just mommy? Because I think that your daddy doesn't like you."

He had obviously been assured that Maddie was fresh and had jumped to the logical assumption that her father was abusive.

"That means that theres less work for me at least." He muttered as he still didn't get a reply from Maddie so instead he raised his hand and hit her across the cheek, the ring on his finger drawing blood.