Saved His Life

A few weeks later

Intelligence had caught the guy as the address Maddie had given them, Jay had IDed them as the guys driving and they went to prison.

Maddie did some digging and found out they worked with the human traffickers she had helped arrest a while ago so the information once again got passed up to the FBI who said the investigation was still open and most likely would last a while so she should still be careful.

Jay had been cleared to go back to work almost a week ago but Will was still being cautious about Maddie and didn't want her to go back to school, something Jay was okay about. 

Becca was still bringing her school work over everyday so that she didn't fall behind but Maddie was bored of staring at the same four walls so she decided to go to the district. She didn't want to bother anyone so after throwing her laptop into her bag along with her work she put a coat on top of her leggings and hoodie before grabbing her bus pass, locking the apartment and heading down to the bus stop.

----------

Maddie was sat on her usual seat in the back corner of the bus, it was about half eleven so the bus was pretty empty, aside from her and the driver there was four other people, a mother with her young child, an elderly man and a guy in his twenties.

The familiar sound of breaks screeching filled the air and made Maddie freeze as memories of the car crash flooded her mind.

"Miss! Miss! Are you okay?" Maddie snapped alert to see the mother shouting to her.

"Yeah, I'm good." Maddie said, standing up and throwing her bag onto her back. "Get your kid out of here, go sit on the curb." Maddie ordered, something inside of her kicking into action. "Hey, are you okay?" Maddie asked as she moved towards the front of the bus.

"I think so." The old man replied, attempting to stand up but failing as his legs were too shaky.

"Stay there until the firefighters come, they'll help you to an ambulance." Maddie said as the other passenger caught her eye. He looked as white as a sheet and his jeans were stained red with blood. "Hey sir, can you hear me?" She said, crouching next to him. When she didn't get a reply she remembered how to take someone's pulse from her gym class and pressed her fingers into his neck until she felt a steady beat. "Hang in there." Maddie said, looking at his leg and seeing the white of bone.

Maddie had never been squeamish but she also had no medical training outside of a basic knowledge of the human anatomy and a few first aid classes she had taken at school. She pushed down on the injury in an attempt to stop the bleeding but she could feel the blood pumping out between her fingers.

If her knowledge of the anatomy was right that meant the broken bone had probably hit the femoral artery. She took a breath before pushing her fingers into the hole in his leg and felt where the blood was coming from and pinched.

"Squad, take that car! Gallo get the bus driver, Mouch and Kidd you're with me." Casey ordered as he got into the bus. "Mouch." Casey said gesturing to the old guy as he spotted the couple slightly further up the bus.

"What's your name?" Kidd asked as she went to help Maddie off the bus.

"Maddie, I need to stay." Maddie said, not moving.

"What's your boyfriends name?" Kidd asked.

"He's not my boyfriend, I have no idea who he is." Maddie said. "Matt right?" Maddie said, spotting the Captain approaching them.

"Do I know you?" Casey asked trying to remember where he recognised the kid from.

"You pulled me out a car crash a few weeks ago, Jay Halstead's kid." Maddie said.