𝟭𝟬. like a bomb

CHAPTER TEN
[ season one, episode nine ]
i build myself up and fly around in circles !

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝗡atalia jolted from her comfortable position on the grass near the fence when she saw Wilbur appear, trying his best to reach the gates. It was pitiful to watch, and for once, she felt bad for him and his daughter. Because she knew. She knew he wouldn't last long with his bad condition. The radiation was a tough one and it was clearly eating him up.

     Wilbur fell to the ground as soon as he reached his daughter, Amelia, who was very frantic and almost close to tears, seeing her father in a state like that. But it was too late, soon enough, death flashed in front of their eyes as Wilbur finally took his last breath. He suffered enough, and Amelia should be glad that he was now in peace.

     Amelia sobbed, glancing at them then back at her deceased father, still trying to wake him up. Probably hoping that it was all just a bad dream and she'd wake up━but it wasn't. They'd already expected Wilbur to become one of the undead, and when he did, Doc quickly grabbed Amelia away. Warren was quick to act and grabbed his shoulder before piking his head, ignoring Amelia's cries of protest for the best.

     "I'm sorry," Warren said sympathetically. She knew what it feels like to lose someone you care about. All of them has in many other ways. Some just learned to cope with it better.

     After burying Wilbur, Doc brought up the fact that the nuclear power plant was still cooking up. The reminder was nowhere near good. There has to be some way they can stop it. Besides they can't even run anywhere even if they want to. They were all going to get caught by the radiation no matter how far they reach. Unless they can suddenly teleport somewhere else.

     "Amelia, we need to know..." Warren said carefully, both Doc and Cassandra listening in silence. Murphy, 10K and Natalia standing behind them while they tried to talk to the mourning daughter. "Can you shut this thing down by yourself if we protect you?"

     "I know airplanes." Amelia shook her head. "Not nukes." 

     "Awesome," Murphy muttered from beside Natalia and 10K.

     Natalia continued to listen in to their conversation, then a sudden realization came to her, thinking about the third person in the town that Wilbur mentioned earlier. She raised a hand and all eyes turned to her. "How 'bout the third guy your dad mentioned?" 

     "He's armed and dangerous," Amelia said, telling them about a man, Homer Stubbins, the chief engineer at the plant before the outbreak. "He became a recluse after the death of his son."

     Natalia shrugged. "Doesn't sound too bad."

     "How do we find Homer?" Warren asked.

     "He won't talk to you."

     "We have to try."

     Amelia eventually agreed to take them to this Homer guy. Natalia continued to twirl her machete around her hands from boredom until they reached his sweet home abode. She still didn't stop and 10K sent her a side glance, looking a little worried that she might cut off her own fingers. Natalia noticed it and decided to put her shit together and stop playing with her poor melee weapon.

     "We have to stop here," Amelia said and the group halted.

     Murphy raised an eyebrow. "We're still fifty yards away."

     "My dad said the place was booby-trapped." She looked at them. "I told you, Homer's crazy."

     "I've seen crazy," Natalia muttered, watching as 10K crouched down on the dirt. He seemed to be squinting his eyes at something they couldn't see. She looked back at the house. "This man ain't it."