𝟭𝟴. grand canyon

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
[ season two, episode ten ]
they all warned us about times like this !

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

    When she thought of a zombie tsunami happening at any moment; Natalia didn't expect it to be now.

    The half-Japanese was seated in the passenger seat of the old RV the group had found, Doc in the driver's seat while the others lounge behind them. Her feet were up the dashboard, elbows leaning against the window, and sharp eyes staring ahead of the road where there was nothing but the asphalt road.

     The world was as deserted as the first time she'd seen it after the apocalypse happened.

    "Where are we?" Warren asked, waking up from her lovely nap next to the bounty hunter who was also fast asleep.

     "About a hundred miles north of Flagstaff, I'm thinking."

     "I dunno how much longer this old bucket of bolts is gonna keep running."

    "Talking about yourself or the rig?"

     Doc laughed. "Both."

     "I think we're getting near the Grand Canyon," Natalia chimed in, pushing herself off the seat as she leaned in closer to the window.

     "I went there once when I was a kid. It was beautiful," Murphy mused, earning a couple of disbelief looks from them. "What? Can't believe I was a kid once?"

    As Warren decided to take the front seat, Natalia scrambled to the back, sitting on the empty space next to Vasquez, watching Addy and the sharpshooter fix the radio on the floor.

    "What's that?" Natalia looked up, glancing at Warren to see her looking at the huge cloud of dust from afar.

    "We've been watching it for a while. I hope it's not what I think it is, 'cause it's right where we're going," Doc said uneasily.

     Natalia sighed. "Doc, tell me, when did our assumptions ever go wrong?"

     "Well..." The old man shrugged.

     "We need some recon. How's that radio coming?"

     "About to find out," Addy muttered, tinkering with the radio. Then she nodded at the sharpshooter. "Okay. Yep."

    She watched as 10K stood up, sticking his arm out the hole in the roof with the signal dish in his hand while Addy tried to speak through the radio. Pursing her lips from anticipation, she placed her elbows on her thighs, leaning against her hand as she looked at the redhead, all of them hoping that they'd somehow contact Citizen Z.

     "When's the last time you talked to that guy anyway?" Murphy commented. "Probably isn't even alive anymore."

    "Aren't you a ray of sunshine this morning?" Vasquez retorted.

     "Well, excuse me, princess." Murphy rolled his eyes. "That's what happens when you haven't had a decent cup of coffee in half a decade."