F I V E

based off 1.02
run boy run

~*~

SIXTEEN YEARS, FOUR MONTHS, AND FIFTEEN DAYS AGO

     The bell rung for the children and Reginald to come to dinner. They all walked into the room quickly, each of them standing behind their chair. Reginald walked into the room, pulling out his own chair. 

     "Sit," he ordered. They all took their seats, beginning to eat their dinner. The only sound was the rope tying informer on the record. 

     "A screen anchor must be used if the rope is to be successfully retrieved from the face of the mountain. Tightly not the ends of the rope. Once anchored, thread the doubled rope through the legs, front to back, and around the buttocks. It is of utmost importance that the rope be drawn under the gluteal muscles, not through the crevice between the gluteus. Proceed by holding the rope diagonally-" Five stabbed his knife into the table, everyone's attention going to him. 

     "Number Five?" Reginald asked. 

     "I have a question," Five said folding his hands together. 

     "Knowledge is an admirable goal, but you know the rules," Reginald said flipping the paper. "No talking during mealtimes. You are interrupting Herr Carlson." Five set his silver ware down on his plate. 

     "I want to time travel," Five said. 

     "No," Reginald responded quickly. 

     "But I'm ready," Five protested. "I've been practicing my spatial jumps, just like you said." He jumped from his chair next to Reginald's. "See?" 

     "A spatial jump is trivial when compared with the unknowns of time travel. One is like sliding along the ice, the other is akin to descending blindly into the depths of the freezing water and reappearing as an acorn," Reginald said beginning to sip on his wine. 

     "Well, I don't get it," Five said shoving his hands in his pockets. 

     "Hence the reason you're not ready," Reginald announced. Five looked to Eight who shook her head at him quickly. 

     "I'm not afraid," Five protested again. 

     "Fear isn't the issue. The effects it might have on your body, even on your mind, are far too unpredictable. Now, I forbid you to talk about this anymore," Reginald said looking up at Five. The boy turned, walking out of the room quickly. "Number Five! You haven't been excused! Come back here!" Eight stood, Reginald staring at her with wide eyes. "Eight, sit down!" She didn't listen and ran out after him. Reginald stood abruptly, huffing at his children's idiocy. Eight walked out of the door, trying to push past people to find Five. 

     "Five!" she yelled. She bumped past someone, seeing Five still walking forward. At the last second, she reached out for him, but he disappeared from thin air in a flash of blue. She stopped, her heart pounding at what she'd just seen. It wasn't like any other jump, it was different. 

     He'd done it. He jumped into the future. And after the third jump, he made a mistake. Five now stood among the rubble, looking around at all of the fire around him. He turned, running back towards the academy. He stopped in front, noticing the crumbled building. 

     "Ivy!" he yelled. "Ben! Dad! Anyone!" He turned, looking at his hands. He tried to jump back to when he left, his jumps not working. He clenched his fists, trying harder. "Come on!" It didn't work, Five realizing what he'd done. Tears brimmed his eyes as he let his shoulders sag at the event. "Shit." He turned back to the academy, knee's hitting the ground as he stared forward.