Chapter 7: Manor

The week went by quicker than expected,the team had been on a 2 day mission after telling M'gann and Artemis that she was leaving Mount Justice. The day came where Bruce escorted her and with a backpack and a case in hand. She looked behind and saw no one, remembering that they had left on a recon Jane turned back to face the entrance of the machine. Stepping in the large mechanism the Zeta-Beam swallowed the two in a bright light.
---------------------------

The heroes lined against the white painted line on the floor.everything was bare, the grey walls had hidden crevices and spots for the course the be activated. Giving a small nod to one another and the whirling of gears clicking and the plates moved. Everyone ran towards the other end, arrows fired, plates barely missed them as they flown past and smashed into the wall, bars dropped from the ceiling and all while the team continued advancing to the next stage. They worked together as a team without the connection M'gann usually gave them. Jane had been right, recovery, attack and response became quicker.

All of them completed the course.

---------------------------

That was last week, this was today. Bruce and Jane were in the back of a sleek, jet black limousine that was driving through downtown Gotham and to the Wayne family mansion. She could still picture the disapproving Robin and his scowl, he had warn her not to mention Bruce's parents. Indeed, Jane had heard the rumors that floated about how they died. Cat woman had seen it all, the robber, the shots, the broken pearl necklace, the crying child.

Coming back to reality she glanced to her left to see Bruce in a suit and unmasked. Jane kept her arms crossed and leaned against the door and turned her attention back to the view of the city. The sky was abnormal shade of gray that made everything look gloomy, even the happiest people seemed to have a slight hint of depression. This was Happy Harbor, ironic. Once they got further away Gotham turned more colorful as they went up a small road. Lined with trees on either end that seemed to continue forever she saw the enormous sight of the Wayne mansion. The outermost was well kept and shined with richness. Slowing to a stop Bruce got out so Jane followed suit, steps that led to a grand door matched the massive house. Until now she didn't realize that he, the black knight would want such a large spacious place to live. She did do her research on everyone, Bruce is the owner of his own company which would explain all the gadgets and vehicles. He even gave her a phone to use and came with data on it. It was away in her bag along with her suit and a couple changes of clothing.

Obviously if paparazzi came along and saw a wolf dressed like a vigilante questions would be asked. That didn't me there wasn't going to be any questions would be ask even in a red jacket, white t-shirt and faded navy blue jeans she would still look out of place. Stark Labs fixed that with a prototype, appearance changer so she would look and feel human. No more long eyeballing at her pointed teeth, long ears and muzzle. The only thing that stood out of place was Bruce whom assumedly adopted another child but this time was different, a girl with long, light brown hair would stand by his side as compared to the usual boy at his side.

The car stopped at the group of people on either side of the drive way. Bruce handed her a domino mask.

"Might want this on."

"I'm already a different person, why should I wear that as well?"

"So they don't investigate too much into a fake identity and harass a dead girl's parents."

"That's not unsettling at all..." Jane grabbed the mask and reluctantly put it on. She grabbed her bag and slung it over one shoulder and stepped out of the car just as Bruce came around from the rear of the vehicle. Men and woman with cameras and microphones shouted questions at the two of them.

"Mr. Wayne who is the girl behind you?"
"Is she related to you?"
"What can you tell us about the child?"
"Have you adopted yet another orphan?"
"What happened to her parents?"
"How long will the girl be staying?"

He turned around just at the end of the mass of people and gave a short speech.

"Jane will be staying at Wayne mansion for the time being, how long that is as of now is undetermined. She will be taken care of and given the proper education for someone of her age."

"Why is this one wearing a mask?"

"Because of you all, now I expect everyone here to leave the premises so I don't have to get the police involved." He stood there for a moment before waking up the stairs. "Jane, if you will."

Following what he meant she went inside the mansion with Bruce. A rather tall, slender man stood in front of them in a penguin suit.

"Master Bruce it is nice to see you home and who is this that you have?"

"Alfred this is Jane, the one I mentioned before. She will be staying here for a while. Tell Ms. Hussa that we have arrived."

"Right away Master Bruce. Good day Ms. Jane" He turned and walked towards another room that joined to that one. A fire place that wasn't burning could be seen as well as grand bookshelves filled with all sorts of books. The one on the exact opposite had multiple doors as it turned a corner to somewhere unknown.

Bruce went up the middle staircase and Jane followed close as he stopped midway in front of a door. He opened it to reveal a bedroom. The bedspread was a light cool grey while the walls were white except for the one dark grey wall that the bed touched. A small desk was off to the side as well as drawers. Another door could be seen that lead to a bathroom.

"I'll be in my study if you need anything Alfred can help you." Just like that he left Jane at the door way.

She crept into the room and stood in the middle of the room. It was to say the least big,everything seemed larger than life here even the staircase was oversized even for a manor. Resting her bag on top of the bed she pulled out the clothing and into drawers. Plugging her phone into the outlet she messed around with it for a while. The bed threatened to suck her into the void of pillows. Instead of on the Ben she sat on the floor thinking.

To say the least the past three weeks had been to say the least tiresome. Getting rescued, training, new faces, old faces, adjusting to a more normal life, healing, hearing voices, technology and finding what she missed in those 4 years all seemed to hit her at once. It was her room, with windows and no locks, a soft bed but with enough pillows for 8 people, it felt safe. Even though it would be a lot of energy to work it all out Jane felt relief.

Alfred knocked on the door.