Chapter 17: Shadows

All the days of using only one side and then suddenly switching to he other combined with a surge of emotions and adrenaline made it hard to control. It felt like that since they left the cabin but Jane had practice control multiple times to where it was like stoping a car only slower. It was her balance, her anchor to this world. It was what kept her alive. It was her secret to her power but not her knowledge. It was an excuse to stay awake, her reasoning.

Getting up after hours of pondering it was well dark. Standing outside M'gann's door Jane gave a small knock before peaking in.

"Hey, what time is it? Why are you still up?"M'gann rubbed her eyes.

"Late. I couldn't sleep. I was wondering if I could sleep here."

"Sure, it gets lonely here. Even I miss my siblings at times."

Closing the door Jane stood awkwardly at it.

"Do you want me to change into the pup or..."

"No, that's not the real you."

"Ok."

Jane later on top of the covers beside of M'gann. Both of them faced each other and propped their heads with an elbow and hand.

"What's been bothering you?"

"Just the past, things I wished to change."

"Like what?"

"I use to have a girlfriend, Red Herring. She...I am starting to doubt that she is dead. I mean I never saw her body."

"You didn't come her to like..."

"NO! No, of corse not that would be weird considering everything."

"Sh what makes you think that she's alive?"

"I was sent to the Astral Plane, she guided me to Namir."

"You went to the Astral Plane? My uncle told me that you can die if you stay in there long enough."

"Here's the crazy part, all I remember from this world, the real world is getting slammed to the wall then somehow I'm in Japan. My body was being controlled by something or someone else."

"And you think it was Red Herring."

"She's done it a couple of times, only one I know that can do that."

"Herring, what's her powers?"

"Our nicknames link to our powers in some way. She is able to mimic calls and for distractions she's the pro at them. Never been caught till it's too late and they fell for her trap. That's how she's able to control my body, sound sensitive and her powers cause a reaction."

"That sound intense."

"Yea, she was. You won't find her unless she wants to be seen."

"Let's get some rest and in the morning we'll talk some more." Rolling on her side M'gann quickly fell asleep.

Jane tried to sleep but nothing worked, after a few more hours passed she got up and roamed the halls. The unsettling fact that there were other dangers besides Phantom that could still be in play didn't help. Insomnia plagued her as she shuffled alone in the mountain. The training room tempted her but others were still asleep and the noise might wake one. She found herself at the empty med bay.

Jane took of the remaining bandages from herself. The burns had disappeared, there wasn't any scarring for those but the other wounds were still healing. Looking at each one she reminded herself of what they did and why she continues to fight because it's still not over.