Chapter 10: Quest for the Magenta Dust

I turn in my bed and see out the window the pretty emerald moon and it looks like sunrise is soon. Jacob snores loudly, at least one of us can sleep like a baby. The sky is far starrier than back home because of our light pollution.

"Aaah!" I feel a jolt, like the noise from the knocking rushed along my skin. My heart's still racing.

"Anyone there?"

"It's me Carlos it's really important please I need your help!"

Whew! Thank goodness it's just him. I calmly breath in and out and I let him in. His eyes dart left and right and checks to see if Jacob's still sleeping. He whispers, "You can't tell anyone and I'll need your help but...I wet the bed."

"What?"

"I'm sorry but it's just something I do I can't help it! Yesterday was so scary I just knew it would happen too."

I put my hands on his shoulders. "Okay calm down fam. I'll help you replace your sheets. Who knows what they'll do if they find out! Especially you know who."

"You mean Ava?"

"Yeah. And Maddie will think we're so gross she'll never speak to us ever again then we won't learn to unlock the power to beat Reaper."

There's clanking and eggs cracking downstairs. A sure sign someone else is awake.

I grab Carlos's sheets and help him replace them. I whisper. "Can't you use your magic?"

"I'm afraid I'll overdo it and burn them instead."

"Okay good point. You do know 12 is a bit old to be wetting your bed, right?"

He puts his face in his hands and I pat his back. "Sorry I said that and to be honest with you I was scared yesterday too."

I peak around the doorframe and Violet drags her feet across the hallway's carpet, eyes drooping.

"All clear she's past us."

I hear a cough upstairs then we walk past a 5 foot tall potted orange tree and shelves of potted plants along the walls, only interrupted by paintings and suits of armor.

We put it in his backpack and run to the laundry room, but it's...a maid!

I nervously smile and wave to her. "Umm, hi we're just here to deliver these. We found bugs."

Is that smoke? We run upstairs and see and smell it coming from the kitchen but it's just Maddie burning a cake. She rests her head on the table crying. I sit next to her putting my hand on her back. "What's wrong?"

She sobs. "It's not fair every time I try baking it just never ever works out for me!"

Violet rests her head on her hand sitting at the table. "Don't worry you'll get it right someday. I just know Jerome is gonna love your baking."

Maddie's eyes widen a little as she darts her eyes then back at her sister. "Why would I care about Jerome?"

Violet's eyes move up. "Oh I don't know maybe it's just because you had a crush on him ever since the first time he came over!"

Maddie looks around and her posture straightens. "You don't think he knows, do you?"

My cheeks feel warm and tingly but in weird embarrassed way. Poor Maddie she's so embarrassed I'm feeling it too. I reassure her, "Of course he doesn't he's a guy! We tend to be like super oblivious you know."

Winston walks down, slumping looking tired. "I'm sorry to hear about your cake. Here, let me help you. I'll need some powdered chocolate, agave nectar, baking soda, flour, eggs, and milk. I'll show you how to make the best cake ever!"