e i g h t

Elara came home just ten minutes after she had been expected to, and had a giddy expression on her face. She had kissed someone! Not just anyone, she had kissed her super hot best friend!

Mon El was watching TV on the couch and eating a sandwich when Elara plopped down next to him. 

"Where is everyone?" she asked.

"I put Avery to bed, Hudson's in his room doing the tiny bit of homework he has, and Nova is grabbing some soda from the kitchen."

"Do you want anything?" Nova called from the kitchen,

"A sprite please!" Elara called back. Nova came out of the kitchen wearing sweatpants and their school hoodie, two cans of sprite in one hand, a bag of popcorn in the other.

She tossed it to her sister, who caught it, and popped the top, taking a giant gulp. "What are you watching?" she asked.

"Escape Room," Nova said. "But dad was watching a sitcom, he's turning that off right now so we can watch the movie. Do you want to watch?" she added.

"Nope. You know me, I hate horror movies with a burning passion," Elara said, getting up an leaving. 

Nova and Mon El laughed, as she was so similar to her mother. Sometimes, on movie nights, when the two of them and Hudson wanted to watch something scary, Kara and Elara would take Avery upstairs and watch a Disney movie. And enjoy it.

Mon El had walked in countless times to find Kara singing along loudly to The Little Mermaid soundtrack, with Elara joining in at the chorus, making Avery giggle. 

Elara went to the window seat and sat looking up at the cloudy sky, as screams echoed from the television downstairs, joined by Nova and Mon El at particularly scary parts. 

~

"Thanks for a great night guys, I'll see you later, bye!" Kara said, as she got into her car, tweed coat thrown on over the dress. She saw Lena talking to her driver, who then drove off, leaving Lena on the sidewalk. Lena began to walk in the opposite direction, so Kara also got out of her car and caught up with her best friend. 

"Are you okay?" she asked, noticing Lena's face, which was wet with tears. She hugged the shorter woman, who began to break down into sobs. Kara lead her to her car, and had Lena sit inside.

"I can't have my own children Kara. I'm never going to be able to, I've given up, my body won't sustain it. I should have taken the four miscarriages as a sign! No one will let a Luthor adopt children, I fail to clear background checks because of my work in the lab!" Lena's voice broke and a flood of tears followed.

Kara drove Lena home, and left her in the hands of her her housekeeper Francesca. Surely, Francesca would take good care of her for the night, she had heard that James had gone on a short, one night business trip to New York, he wouldn't be back till early tomorrow morning.

Elara was waiting for her when she got home. "Mom? Can I talk to you?" she said, sitting on her bed. Kara sunk beside her and pulled her into a tight hug. 

"Yes baby, whats wrong?" she said, burrowing her face into her daughters blond hair. Elara and Nova had blond hair at birth, which turned brown, and now was back to a golden honey color. 

"Would you mind if I dated someone?"

Kara was flabbergasted. "Um yes, depending on who it is-" she was cut off by Elara blurting -

"I kissed Casey."

"You what?"

"I kissed him, it was a small peck, nothing more, but I kissed him."

Kara smiled widely. "I'm fine with Casey, he seems like a lovely boy. Handsome too, well mannered."

Elara nestled into her mom's arms. "He's perfect."

"I bet he is," Kara said.