s i x t e e n

The headline on the newspaper the next day in bold font is dramatic.

 Supergirl Dead? 
by Serena Faye
National City's beloved hero has disappeared entirely for about two days. Eyewitnesses at the scene of crime have reported that they have reason to believe she may be dead. She was stabbed with a syringe holding a liquid some say might have been Kryptonite. The dose may have been lethal, judging by the fact she was rushed off in a government issued ambulance and has not been seen since. James Olsen, who is a known associate of both supers, has been silent on the issue. So has Cat Grant, and Miss Lena Luthor, both who have been spotted in their respective offices holding audience with Supergirl.

The rest of it is cut off, sitting under the coffee pot. Kara looked at Mon El with wide eyes, about to burst into laughter.

"They think I'm dead?" she laughed. He cracked a small smile, handing her the fresh cup of coffee he just poured.

She sipped at it slowly. "Who's taking Avery to her testing today?" she questioned. Avery had this big test to get her into an enhanced program for next year, at her charter school, even though the school itself was already for smarter than average children. The program was called 'Gifted' and it allowed her to take classes for higher grade levels.

He planted a kiss on her forehead. "I am, and when we get back, it should be around lunchtime, so, do you want to go for a picnic with the kids?"

"That sounds good. We can even invite Alex and Maggie, as well as Lena, James, Winn, and his wife Ella, so the kids have company!"

Mon El smiled. It had been a while since everyone got together. "I'll make the calls."

Kara reached for her crutches. She had improved, and was not in the wheelchair anymore.  But they were still weaning her off the medications, so she still had to learn to use her legs again.

"I'm going to go read," she said, before slowly making her way out of the kitchen. She bumped into Avery in the hallway, who greeted her mother with a shy wave.

Avery was wearing a striped dress with a denim jacket over, paired with these little white sandals Maggie had gotten her last Christmas. She looked very cute.

"Hey squirt, you nervous for today?" Kara asked.

"Nahh, I know all the material."

"Good. Listen, when you get back, we're going on a picnic okay? We need to take advantage of this gorgeous spring weather."

Avery simply nodded, a smile gracing her adorable little face, and disappeared into the kitchen. She would be eight years old this August.

Mon El was born in May, the twins in June, Hudson in July, Avery in August, and Kara in September. It was the end of April now, so birthday season would start for their family in about a week, with Mon El's birthday. Kara always joked how everyone's birthdays lined up one month after the other.

Kara opened her book, trying to concentrate on the pages, but gave up, using her crutches to get upstairs from the living room where she had been sitting, teetering dangerously on the steps.

The sounds of video games came from Hudsons room, so she poked her head in. "Hey buddy," she says.

"Hi mom," he mumbled. 

"Isn't it a bit early for video games?"

"It's quarter to nine, mom," he said, rolling his eyes.

Kara hobbled over and took the nintendo switch from him. "Well, we got your grades back for the science quiz, and you didn't do well at all, so I think it's time to study for an hour. Also, get out of those ratty pajamas buddy and put some real clothes on. We're going for a picnic at twelve."

"Mom, look, I studied, but it's hard. The class average was a C, and I got a C, so big deal."

"Hudson Jacob. You know your father and I don't like grades dipping below a B. So study for the quiz you have Tuesday. If you get an A, your grade will go up."

Kara tossed the textbook next to him. "It's Chapter Nine," she added, before leaving the room to check on the twins.

Nova was passed out on her bed still, she had a long day yesterday at gym practice. Elara was sketching at her desk. Not wanting to disturb them, she hobbled over to the master bedroom.

She hated feeling weak, and helpless like this, but she was thankful she would be right on her feet very soon.

Kara sat down and turned the news on for a few moments, before flipping through channels till she found a F.R.I.E.N.D.S. rerun which she felt like watching. She watched for about an hour, before she decided to get out of her sweatpants, and into something nicer.

She changed into a pair of blue skinny jeans and a floral printed blouse, pairing it with her nice white sandals. She wore pearl earrings and a small gold pendent, along with her engagement and wedding rings, before reaching for the makeup. She applied just a little concealer, some mascara, blush, eyebrow gel, highlighter, and lipstick.

Grabbing her crutches, she hobbled to the twins room to wake up Nova, who was already awake. 

"Get ready, we leave in thirty minutes," she told them, before making her way downstairs to the kitchen.

~

"Where are we going?" Nova asked Elara as she pulled on a pink denim skirt and white lettuce hemmed top. 

"I think a picnic, that's what mom said," Elara told her, already dressed in black denim shorts and a loose red crop top. The shorts were high waisted, so she felt modest, even though her shirt was a little short. "Hey Nov, can you braid my hair?"

"Sure thing El," Nova replied, putting the finishing touch on her own hair, which was loose, the ends curled.

They decided on two dutch braids, so Nova did them in Elara's hair, as Elara applied her makeup. Winged eyeliner, eyebrow gel, mascara, blush, highlighter, concealer, and lip gloss, completed the badass punk look Elara was going for.

Nova used a lighter hand on her own makeup, which was natural, and glowy.

"Kids, are you ready?" Kara called from downstairs. Hudson rushed passed their door, dressed in jeans and a random baseball shirt.

"Yeah," Elara called back, finishing putting her earrings on, and wearing her white slip on Vans.

They rushed down the stairs a little grumpily. After all, they were teenagers, and it was eleven thirty. They should be asleep.

Melwood story is up! Check it out on my profile! It's called Broken(Melwood AU).

Xoxo- A