e l e v e n

"She was in the very early stages of pregnancy, in human weeks about one month in, Kryptonian wise like a week and a half."

But Mon El hadn't heard anything past miscarriage. She was pregnant. And now that child was gone.

Someone was shaking his shoulders and it was then that he realized the doctor was gone. "Mon El. Mon El!" 

It was James. "Kara's being moved to another room."

He stood up very fast and ran to see Kara being wheeled out of the operating theater, hooked up to what seemed like a dozen machines. Everyone was gathered outside in the waiting room.

Clark. Winn. James. Lena. Maggie. Alex. Sofia and Noah. Nova, Elara, Hudson, Avery. 

It was a large crowd. Only he and Alex were allowed in though for the time being, so they sat holding Kara's hands. She looked so helpless.

One peaceful Saturday morning had turned into a devastating one.

It was the next day when some happy news came. Her induced coma was being lifted. She would wake up in a few hours.

"Want to come get coffee for everyone?" Maggie asked Lena outside. Lena nodded her head. They walked to the DEO's snack room and started brewing some dark roast in the Keurig. 

"How many people is that?" Maggie asked. 

"Eight," Lena answered. "Nova and Elara wanted some, and I guess Sofia would want some as well."

"Wait," Maggie said. "It's nine, we're one person short if we count the Nova, Elara, and Sof."

"I don't want a whole cup of coffee. It gives me a nasty headache. I'll have a little from James."

"Oh, ok," Maggie said, not totally buying it. She didn't push it on Lena any further.

 In a strange turn of events, the two had become very close, and Lena had vented about her fertility treatments not working, surrogates being afraid to carry her child, and cried about her  numerous miscarriages, the desire to have a child of her own. Adoption wasn't an option, due to her Luthor heritage, agency's saw her as an unfit mother.

They returned and handed everyone their cups of coffee, settling in to wait.

It was three in the afternoon, more than sixteen hours since Kara had first been brought to the hospital, and finally she was starting to wake up.

She was breathing on her own, which was a good sign, and her pupils were dilated, which meant her brain was active.

She was mumbling incoherent words now in Kryptonian, incoherent to Alex. But Mon El understood. "Silver," he muttered out loud. "Of course it was silver Kryptonite!"

Alex was perplexed. "Silver Kryptonite?" she asked.

He nodded sadly. "It's a weaker version of the green one, but becomes potent when it reacts with blood. Whatever meds the doctors gave her must have contained trace amounts of lead, which counteracts this version of Kryptonite."

Kara woke up slowly. Thankfully she didn't have amnesia, and she spoke to the two of them.

 Something flashed in Kara's eyes and she teared up, clutching her stomach and wailing.

"I want my baby," she cried. 

"Kara, Kara, shhh," Mon El said, stroking her hair.

"Where is my baby!" she cried. He planted a kiss on her cheek.

"Darling I'm so sorry. You miscarried."

"No, no, no, no, that's, that's not possible, I can see the baby, I'll show you!"

She squinted for a few moments and burst out laughing. "Your joking, I must have already delivered the baby. Why else would I be in the hospital?"

She made a move to get up and looked at Mon El fearfully.

"I can't move my legs."