n i n e

Kara was in Mon El's arms, as he lay bare chested in bed. She herself was only in a lacy blue tank top and plaid shorts. 

His breath, smelling like mint toothpaste, blew a strand of her hair back an forth, causing her to suppress a giggle. 

She glanced at the clock, which said 3:06 am. Turning over onto her side, she seemed to just close her eyes, when the door opened. 

Rubbing sleep from her eyes, she sat up to find Avery at the door, holding her teddy to her chest.

"Mama, I had a bad dream!" she said. Mon El was still fast asleep, not realizing she was there. Kara slipped out of bed, and gave Avery a hug. Avery sounded extremely drowsy when she spoke. "Can I sleep with you and daddy?" Kara nodded, and Avery climbed into bed between her parents.

Mon El woke up for a second as the scent of baby shampoo reached his nose, and saw Avery right next to him, eyes closed. He wrapped an arm around his girls, and went back to sleep

~

The next morning, a Saturday, everyone tried to sleep in, at least until nine, as Hudson had a soccer game at ten. Kara was awakened around eight by her phone buzzing, and she decided to get up for real. She brushed her teeth, and went for a shower, coming out of the bathroom in dark wash jeans and a white, slim fitting shirt, with a pastel pink cardigan over. 

She headed down to the kitchen, where the smell of breakfast cooking wafted towards her. 

"Girls? What on earth?" she said.

Elara and Nova had made waffles, scrambled eggs, and sausage, also cutting up a bunch of fruit and putting it into a bowl. How had Kara not heard all the clattering going on here with her superhearing? Frankly, it was quite embarrassing. 

"Mom! No! We were supposed to bring you and dad breakfast in bed?" Elara said.

"But what is we weren't sleeping?" Kara said, winking at them.

"Ew mom! And I know for a fact you were asleep because I peeked inside and Avery was between you and dad!" Nova exclaimed.

Kara helped herself to some food and ate really fast, like usual. She was pouring a second cup of coffee when her watch went off.

"Be right back kids," she said, flying out of the window they always kept open for emergencies like this one.

Nova and Elara sighed, helping themselves to food, as everyone else came downstairs. 

"Where's your mom?" Mon El asked, rubbing his eyes sleepily. 

"Supergirl," Nova answered.

"Did mom make all this?" Hudson asked, digging into his waffles.

"No we did," Elara said.

An hour later, they were still eating when Mon El's phone rang. 

"Hey Mon El, Alex speaking, um it's Kara. Something, somethings happened. We need you to come to the DEO asap. Leave, the kids at home, it's better if they don't see her like this."

His expression became grave.

"Hudson, email your coach and say you cannot go to your game. Nova, Elara, take care of Hudson and Avery. I-I have to go. It's your mom. Something's wrong."