FORTY-ONE

'I've just been attacked by Dementors and I might be expelled from Hogwarts. I want to know what's going on and when I'm going to get out of here.'

Harry Potter copied these words onto four separate pieces of parchment. He addressed the first one to Aurora, the second to Sirius (because he didn't know where his Godfather was staying), the third to Ron and the fourth to Hermione. He ran his fingers through his short black hair, messing it up as he sighed. His back ached from having to haul his cousin Dudley back home after the Dementor attack. 

Harry let Hedwig out of her cage and attached the letters to her leg before he opened the window and send her on her way. As soon as he did that he sat down onto his bed, the old mattress squeaking due to the weight on top of it which caused Harry's headache to worsen. He laid down on the springy mattress groaning as he tried to make himself as comfortable as he could (which wasn't very easy) before he shut his eyes, trying his best to ignore the outside world.

However the peace and quiet didn't last very long; his bedroom door banged open as his uncle Vernon waddled in, "We're going out," he said.

"Sorry?" 

"We- that is to say, your aunt, Dudley and I- are going out," Vernon said as if he was talking to a five year old and not a fifteen year old boy, "You are not to leave your bedroom while we're out."

"Okay," Harry muttered, his eyes were focused on his bedroom ceiling.

"You are not to touch the television, stereo or any of our possessions."

"Right," Harry muttered bitterly.

"You are not to steal our food from the fridge."

"Okay."

"I am going to lock your door."

"Okay, you do that."

Uncle Vernon glared at Harry, clearly annoyed and suspicious of the boy. He then stomped out of the room and closed the door behind him, locking it as soon as he was on the other side of them. 

Harry laid in his bed staring up at the ceiling for hours. The room darkened around him as night began to settle in. The house had been quiet for hours, the only sound Harry could hear was his own breathing as well as the occasional car driving down the quiet road. 

That was until he heard a loud crash in the kitchen. He bolted upright and listened intently. The Dursleys couldn't have been back yet, he was so sure he hadn't heard Uncle Vernon's car parking on the driveway and the constant complaining of Dudley as they walked up the path. He was even more sure that he hadn't heard the front door unlocking.

His breathing quickened as he crept off his bed, snatching his wand from the bedside table. He listened intently trying to figure out if anyone was coming up the stairs, his wand was pointed right at the door as he stood his ground.