18

It was a dark and stormy night.

Well, actually, it wasn't that stormy. Just drizzly. Or was it sleet? The temperature usually dropped close to freezing during the night.

Dang, Jay thought. That would make it much harder to sneak out unnoticed.

If you asked him why he was leaving the monastery in the middle of the night, he couldn't have told you why. It was just something he needed to do.

He had fallen asleep in Nya's room like he had been doing so many nights lately. But Nya was a heavy sleeper, so at least he'd be able to get out of her room just fine.

Quietly, he opened the window and was just about to climb out when Nya made a small noise.

Jay whipped around, but she was still asleep.

He was about to turn around when he saw his reflection in a mirror, framed by the dim traces of moonlight that you could barely see behind the clouds.

Everything was normal. Except his eyes, which were normally brown, were completely black with a red hole for a pupil.

For a second, Nya stirred, and Jay reflexively glanced over. And for one second, his eyes faded to their normal brown. And for one second, he wondered, Why I am doing this?

But then the little voice in his head returned, and his eyes darkened again.

A blink, and he was gone - fast as lightning.

...

"He's here."

"Great. Let him in. And you can turn off the program now. I want to see him squirm."

Jay walked in. Blinked - blinked normal eyes. Stopped.

"What am I doing here?"

A/N: Finally updated yay...ill try to update tomorrow though :)