21

Earlier...

Jay opened his eyes.

Where was he? The small room, save for the bed he was lying in, was empty, and he didn't recognize it.

Actually, scratch that.

Who was he?

He remembered his name. Jay. Jay...something. Walker? He thought so. Jay Walker. It sounded right.

He searched his memories, but there were only shadows there, wisps of something that should be fully formed.

"Um...hello?" he croaked.

When no one answered, he spoke louder.

"Hello?"

This time, someone opened the door.

Jay didn't recognize him either. He was on the short side, with fair hair and a calm face. 

"Hello, Jay. Do you remember who I am?"

"N-no. I don't remember anything. Except my name." He hated how he stuttered and his voice cracked on the last word.

"Ah. That was to be expected, but I still hoped."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you know of the Ninja, correct?"

He did, kind of. The eight of them were...a group, or something. And they had powers. He thought.

"I...think so."

"The public thinks of them as heroes. We know differently. They are selfish, and only use their power to be noticed by the public."

"But...didn't they save people?"

"No." He didn't elaborate, and Jay decided not to ask more questions.

"You realized the truth. You came to see me, an old friend, and as soon as you confirmed my suspicions..." He paused. "Something happened, though I don't know what. When I found you, you were unconscious, and one Ninja said...something. About memory. I assumed she had modified yours."

"She?"

"Yes, the first female member. Nya is her name. She has her hair in a black ponytail most of the time."

"She took my memory?"

"I assume so, yes."

Suddenly, Jay's hatred for the Ninja increased tenfold. Part of him was still mostly confused, but he pushed it aside. His hands sparked to life, but it didn't surprise him like maybe an event like that should.

Perhaps the other man noticed Jay's change of expression, because he smiled. "Good. You know what you have to do?"

The wording sounded odd, but he ignored it. "I do."

"Then go."

He did.

The man smiled to himself.

...

"You did it?"

"Yes. He's on his way."

"Perfect. Who next? The hot-tempered one?"

"No, I think I'll leave the...ah, more problematic member with him and the robot. They'll be useless, and besides, she doesn't care as much for him as the others."

"Like who? I knew about Garmadon's kid, but..."

"The other girls would be good, but they're harder to manipulate. I couldn't scare them as easily, and they knew something was up."

"So that leaves one member."

"Yes. Another powerful one."

"The new member is close enough to him, you think?"

"I do. Again, not as close as him, but close enough."

"So what's your plan?"

"Well, our next target will be different. He'll be aware, but not in control. And maybe give Boltboy his memories back for the endgame. He was just a message, anyway."

"A message saying what? And for whom?"

"I told you not to ask such stupid questions! For the Teal Ninja, of course. Saying that this is just the beginning, and that I am more powerful than anything they've ever seen before."