19

A/N: I have no idea why I am actually updating dis book besides the fact that someone that is not grandmarie commented and asked me to update. So yeah. Here is a slightly longerish chapter.

Jay tried to calm down, to think this through. What was the last logical thing he remembered?

He couldn't tell.

So much for calming down.

The first thought that came to mind was: "What am I doing here?"

Wait. Did I just say that out loud? Yep, yep I did.

And then he realized that there was something standing in front of him. And this entire situation either just got ten times worse or ten times better.

"You walked here," the kind-of-humanlike-thing said.

Jay realized that that was probably true, but he didn't remember getting here.

"No matter. Now that you're here, we can proceed with the next, ah, phase of our plan."

We? Jay had a feeling that the "we" did not include him. And that was a very bad thing. Which meant he had to get out of here fast.

Quickly, he activated his powers...which sparked and died out a second later. He tried again. Nothing.

"I wouldn't try that here."

Jay ignored that statement. "Is this place made of vengestone?"

"There are things stronger than vengestone, boy." Amusement laced the words.

"Whatever. My powers aren't everything," he replied, trying to keep his voice from shaking too badly.

No response.

Just as Jay was about to make a move, a small, smoky tendril reached out and wrapped itself around his body.

"I don't think so."

And then the tendrils squeezed.

...

So many visions passed right in front of Jay's eyes. Horrible ones. It was only for seconds, but it felt like hours. Worse and worse ones came, until finally, his mind shut down and saved it from it all.

...

"He's alive, right?"

"Yes, yes, he's fine. You remember what to tell him once he wakes up, correct?"

"Uh, yes."

"And then you send him back. Let it unfold from there. He always underestimates himself, but the truth is, he's probably the strongest out of all of them."

"What about..."

"Neither of the girls will want to fight a friend. Or a b..."

"I was talking about the newer one."

"Oh, that one. Good point, but she hasn't been around for very long. She won't know as much."

"What if...what if you're underestimating them?"

A sound like a slap.

"I do not make mistakes like that, boy. I know what they are capable of, much better than they themselves know. We will not fail. I guarantee it."

"Are we going to take..."

"No. I have to admit I was wrong about the second boy. I can't get his mind in my grasp as easily as I did the first. But maybe the other one."

"Why?"

"Don't ask such stupid questions. But fine, I'll tell you why. He may seem to be strong, but on the inside he fears, fears that he is not good enough, that he is still the immature brat that he was. And when those fears are brought to the surface..."

"He becomes weak?"

"Do not interrupt. But yes. I see you are learning."

"I have a good teacher."

"Flatterer."

"So we are done?"

"For now, yes, we are done. You are excused."

One departed, and the other waited. In minutes, the first domino in the plan would topple. And if the dominos were spaced just right (which they were, of course, since everything was planned out to the finest detail), everything would turn out perfectly.

And then - after the final domino toppled - they would finally be gone.

They would be free to do what they saw fit.  Everything would be in chaos. Well, a good kind of chaos.

After all, it's in times of chaos that the people unite, isn't it?