Chapter 5

"Casnie? Casnie! I want you to clean the tables for a party. And keep those twins under control. Last time, they caused a disaster," said Eldwinus.

"Yes, my lord," I say.

I walk to the ballroom, and start sweeping. There's still broken glass and wine stains on the carpet from the last party.

Suddenly, I feel two arms wrap around my waist. It's Tsareth.

"Casnie, I love you," says Tsareth.

"I love you too, midget," I say.

"What was that?" asked Eldwinus, walking into the room.
"I-

"He's the son of a traitor! How dare you love him! You're just as bad as he is. You're fired!"

"Shadow? Shadow! C'mon, wake up!"

~

My eyes suddenly shoot open. It takes me a moment to remember where I am. My dream was so vivid that I forgot that I'm Shadow, and not Casnie. Who is Casnie?

"Shadow, wake up! C'mon, we have to go meet with Eldwinus early today. He wants to meet you in his palace. He invited you to a party," says Phareth.

"I had a crazy dream," I say.

"You can tell us on the way there. We can't teleport. It's a highly secured building. We have to drive," says Phareth.

I get up, and he leaves.

I put on my white robe, and walk into the kitchen. There, I grab half of a god sized bagel, and follow Phareth into the truck.

"Don't get any crumbs on my seats, Shadow," says Phareth.

"I won't," I say.

Tsareth gets into the passenger seat, and we start driving.
"So tell me about your dream, Shadow," says Phareth.

"Well, I was in a palace. You guys were there, but you were younger. Eldwinus was also there. He was mad because you guys were doing something bad. Then he called me 'Casnie'," I say.

They both go silent. I feel an emotion that I don't quite understand come off of them. It's almost like nostalgia, but deeper.

Finally, Phareth speaks.

"Kid, don't ever say that name again," says Phareth.

"You know her?" I ask.

Phareth doesn't speak. He stares at the road. I get scared that he might have another flashback.

Tsareth answers.

"She was our mother," says Tsareth.

I sense deep sadness coming from both of them.

"Why was I having dreams of her?" I ask.

"It could have been your vision," says Tsareth.
I think for a moment.

"Wait! Eldwinus was there, too! What were you two doing- Phareth cuts me off.

"Shadow. Please. Don't ask any more questions."

I sigh.

The rest of the ride is silent. They don't seem mad, but I can tell, even without my empathic power, that they aren't in a good mood. They look sad. What happened to them in the past?

When we finally stop, we get out of the car. We are in front of a palace. It feels familiar.

"Let's go," says Phareth.