Chapter 6

The party lasts all day, and all night. It makes me wonder if deities ever get tired.

I've been following Phareth around all day. I have to, since I'm a mortal. I'm not allowed to walk around by myself. I don't mind, though; Phareth is being very nice to me. I'm not even supposed to have any of the snacks from the table, but Phareth gives me a plate of chocolate cake anyway. The cake is delicious. Phareth has a glass of margarita in his hand, and he's getting a little drunk.

I see a dim figure walking over to us. It's Tsareth. He's barely glowing at all. I walk over and hug his leg.

"Well! You're being extra sweet this evening, are you?" asks Tsareth.

He picks me up like I'm a young child, and hugs me tightly. I see someone watching. She looks familiar.

"Verda?" I ask.

"Do not address me, mortal." says Verda.

"Be nice," says Tsareth.

"I don't need to be nice. She's a mortal," says Verda.

"Yeah? So what? Does her short life instantly entitle you to be rude?" asks Tsareth.

"What do you know? You were raised by a mortal! The very mortal who-

"Casnie never meant any-

"Guys, please stop fighting! Can't we-

Verda rips me from Tsareth's arms by my shirt, and glares at me.

"You know nothing of the situation," says Verda.

"Let go of her! Don't hold my girl like that!" Tsareth snaps.

He takes me back from Verda's grip.

"What did I ever do to you, Verda?" I ask.

Verda shakes her head. I suddenly feel sadness coming from her.

"Forget it. I shouldn't have come. I'll be going," says Verda.
She walks away.

Tsareth picks me up again.

"Don't listen to her. I don't know what her problem is," says Tsareth.

"Why would my own goddess hate me?" I ask.

"I don't know. I don't know how a deity could just hate their mortal. I love my mortals like children," says Tsareth.

A grin makes its way onto my face.

"You guys begged her for me," I say.

"Of course we did," says Tsareth.

"Why, though? What's so special about me?" I ask.

They don't answer. I notice that Phareth is struggling to keep his balance.

"Bro... I told you! No more than one drink!" says Tsareth.

He puts me down, and grabs Phareth, to stop him from falling.

"Phareth gets emotional when he's drunk. Let's go home before he starts crying or something," says Tsareth.

"I think I'm ready to hit the mattress anyway," I say, yawning.

Tsareth puts his arm around Phareth to help him walk. Then, we start to leave.

When we get to the parking lot, we put Phareth in the passenger seat, and Tsareth gets in the drivers seat. I get in the back, behind Phareth.

"Do you want me to put on some music?" asks Tsareth.

"I guess," I say.

He turns on the radio.

"Its a lovely Friday night at 11:24 PM! Let's play an old favorite band of mine from Electrum!" says the man on the radio.