Chapter 21

I walk into Phareth's room. There are many empty bottles, and dirty clothes on the floor. It has been three months since Tsareth was put into the coma. Phareth has not been doing well.

I am carrying a platter with a plate of food, a glass of ice cold water, and a glass of grape juice.

"Phareth, I brought you some breakfast," I say.
He doesn't answer. He's in bed with the covers over his head. A bottle of whiskey is on his nightstand, half empty.

"You've been drinking again! I told you not to."
He groans.

"I had a feeling you'd need this," I say. I put the water on his nightstand.

"Phareth, c'mon. It's time to get up."

He lets out a heavy sigh, and rolls over onto his back. The covers come off to reveal his face.

"Go away, kid. I don't want to be bothered," he says.

"So you aren't drunk," I say.

He rolls his eyes.

"Hand me that bottle of whiskey beside you."

"Phareth, I don't want you drunk. I want the real, sober, you. I miss you when you're drunk. You turn into someone else," I say.

He suddenly gets angry. He grabs my arm tightly.
"You want the depressed me? I don't! I hate waking up every morning to Tsareth's empty space! It's all because you couldn't be where Eldwinus told you to be! Thermapondreix wouldn't be after us if it wasn't for you!" yells Phareth.

We stare at each other, me, in shock, and him, in anger. I don't know what to say. He speaks.

"Casnie wouldn't have snuck out and got Thermapondreix's attention. Shockwave would have been more mature! Why can't you just be like them?!" yells Phareth.

My heart is racing, and my hands are shaking. Phareth's expression suddenly changes. He realizes what he just said.
I don't let him speak.

"I'm not like them. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I'm not Casnie. I'm sorry I'm not Shockwave. I'm sorry I couldn't be a good servant," tears stream down my face.

"I'm such a fool. I shouldn't have trusted you. I shouldn't have believed that you would ever be anything like family to me. I'm sorry I can't be normal."

I put the tray of food onto his bed stand, and leave the room. Why am I crying? I knew this would happen. Why did I ever let myself trust him?

I walk to my room, and lock the door.

I'm such an idiot. How could I have been so stupid?
I hear a tapping on my window. I look to see Skylight. She's on my roof.

I walk over and open it. She pokes her head in.

"Shadow? What's wrong?" she asks.

I walk over to my window and climb out. I sit next to Skylight. She kneels down next to me. She extends her wing, and puts it over me.

I finally speak.

"Phareth is blaming me because Tsareth is in a coma."

"Why would he blame you? You wouldn't do that to Tsareth."

"He wishes I was like his old conciliators," I say

"That's selfish. Nobody has the right to tell you to be something you're not. They asked for you to be theirs."

"I wonder if it'd be better for them both to be in a coma."

"Better? Then you'd have two comatose masters. That's worse."

"Phareth is just destroyed. He might as well be in a coma. He's always drunk or asleep anyway."