Chapter 31

"Kid, wake up! UP!"

I open my eyes to Phareth, who seems to be in a silly mood. He picks me up as Tsareth runs into the room with a makeup bag and a dress. The dress is cobalt blue and knee-length, and the top is plain and is made of satin. The skirt is made of tulle, is very poofy, and is decorated generously with rhinestones. Tsareth is holding another hanger with a dark blue dress jacket.

"What the heck? What is this?" I ask.

Phareth starts brushing my hair. Tsareth holds the dress up to me to see if it will fit.

"You've got an interview today!" Says Tsareth.

"What? On short notice?! Why didn't you tell me about it? Oh, what am I going to say?!" I ask. Tsareth takes the dress off the hanger. "And I am not wearing that."

Tsareth give me 'the look'. He raises his eyebrows and puts on a goofy angry face. "Yeah, you are."

"I can't stand dresses," I say.

"But Shadow! WE SPENT HOURS LOOKING FOR THIS DRESS! Please?" Asks Tsareth.

I sigh.

And that is how Phareth and Tsareth convinced me to wear a dress in public. I hate it, I hate it!

The dress looks fine. The look isn't the problem. I just feel so naked when I'm walking around. See, I'm not supposed to wear pants with a dress. I feel like I'm walking around in my underwear. It makes me so uncomfortable.

Phareth got me to wear a headband with a light blue bow. It's pretty obvious that they wanted me to dress me up as if I'm a little girl. Which, to them, I kind of am.

With the dress, they also made me wear white flats with no socks. I insisted on wearing pants, so I'm wearing a pair of black tights underneath.

I leave my room to see Glitch in the hallway. He is wearing a white dress shirt with a tie. He follows us to the truck.
As we walk to the truck, I wear the most unamused look on my face. I can just feel how excited Phareth and Tsareth are as we drive. Tsareth turns around in his seat and adjusts my bow. He has the most goofy grin on his face.

"LOOK, SHE'S MAD!" Says Tsareth.

"No!" I say.

They laugh.

When we reach our destination, Tsareth intentionally picks me up even though I can get down from the truck myself, with my levitation powers.

"Why are you guys so crazy?" I ask.

"We love you," says Phareth.

A small grin finally forms on my face.

"SHE'S SMILING!"

I follow them to the building. We are greeted at the door by a god in a suit. He shakes Phareth's hand.

"Welcome! Are you the Berenburg twins?"

Phareth nods. "Yes. And that's our conciliator, Shadow Haul. That's Glitch, the mortal we rescued from Pyrogea."

"Excellent! Come on in!"

We walk inside. The door leads to a hallway, which leads to a stage. On the stage is a goddess in a long white dress with pink hair and pink skin.There are two velvet couches across from each other on the stage.

The goddess walks over to me. "Welcome! You must be Shadow Haul, the girl who survived Thermapondreix! I'm Cyla Kin, and I'm the director of this show!"

We shake hands, and I sit on one of the velvet couches in between Phareth and Tsareth.

"So tell me about yourself," says Cyla.