Chapter 29

After dinner, I watch T.V with Phareth and Tsareth. Then, I go to bed. It's just like a normal night.
Except for when I actually get to sleep.

I dream that I am in the cage again, being lowered into the lava. I feel my skin burning. I scream in pain.

"Shadow? Shadow!" I hear Phareth shout as he shakes me.

I open my eyes. Phareth sits down and pulls me into a hug. Tsareth sits next to us.

"Did you have a nightmare?" Phareth asks.

I nod. He kisses me on the top of my head.

"I know. I used to have nightmares too. Trauma is hard to deal with," says Phareth, his lips still close to my head.

"What traumatized you?" I ask.

"It was the abuse," says Phareth. He strokes my hair. "Do you want to sleep in our room? Maybe it will help you sleep more soundly."

I nod. I don't want to be alone right now.

"Alright," he says. He picks me up and starts to carry me down the steps.

When we get to their room, Phareth sets me down in his bed, and lies down next to me. Tsareth climbs onto the top bunk.

"How long will I have nightmares?" I ask.

"I don't know. I still have nightmares from my childhood," says Phareth.

"It never goes away?" I ask.

"It will get better," says Phareth.

"Phareth?" I ask.

"Yeah?"

"Can you make me some tea?"

He sits up. "If you think it will help."

We walk together to the kitchen. He turns on the stove and pours water into the tea kettle. While we wait, the boy enters the room.

"What are you all doing up? And what was that scream?" Asks the boy.

"Shadow had a nightmare. I'm making her tea to help her sleep."

"Like... the letter 'T'?"

"No, it's a drink. It's spelled 'T-E-A'. It's made from tea leaves," I say.

"I see. What does 'tea' taste like?" He asks.

"Only one way to find out," says Phareth. The kettle starts whistling. He pours the water into two teacups and gives one to each of us.

"What is this bag?" Asks the boy.

"It's a teabag. It turns the water into tea," I say.

"Is this sorcery?!"

He takes a sip. He sticks his tongue out with a look of disgust.

"It's so... what is this?"

I take a sip of my own tea. "It's tea," I say.

"I don't like it," says the boy.

"What have you been drinking your whole life? Water?" Asks Phareth.

"Yeah, what else?" Asks the boy.

"Oh..." Says Phareth.

I finish the rest of my tea.

"Alright, kid. Ready for bed?" Asks Phareth.

"Yeah," I say.

We walk back to his room. He once again sets me down next to him. Finally, I feel relaxed enough to fall back to sleep.