Chapter 9

I walk out into the dining room with several cinnamon rolls on a silver plater. In my other hand, I have two cups of tea on another silver plater.

When Phareth and Tsareth see me, they just stare at me, speechless.

I put the food on the table.

"Are you guys okay?" I ask.

"Sorry... Shadow. We just... you remind us of Casnie," says Tsareth.

"You share a striking resemblance with her. Especially with the maid outfit. It really makes you two look identical," says Phareth.

"I do?" I ask.

"Yes. It's almost hard to look at you," says Phareth.

"Are these the cinnamon rolls? You just made my life," says Tsareth.

I laugh.

"I thought you might enjoy them," I say.

"Aww, thanks Shady. You should have one, too. I don't think they'll let you have breakfast for awhile. They never let Casnie eat until long after we'd eaten," says Phareth.

I take the smallest cinnamon roll, and sit at the table with them. When I bite into the cinnamon roll, I instantly get hit with nostalgia.

My body goes all limp, and I feel all fuzzy again.

~

"Casnie!" says Phareth. He waits anxiously for me to give him his breakfast.

"No, me first!" says Tsareth.

"No, ME!" shouts Phareth.

"No fighting at the breakfast table," I say.

I put the cinnamon rolls on the table at the same time. Then, I pour the tea.

While they dig in, I take one of the cinnamon rolls off the plate. I look around too see if anyone is looking. Then, I take a bite. The sweet taste fills my mouth. It's my favorite food.

~

"Shadow? Shadow! C'mon, kid," says Phareth.
I realize I am slumped over the table. I sit up.
"I had another one of Casnie's flashbacks," I say.
"I know. Finish your breakfast. The meeting is soon," says Phareth.

"You know? How? Why is this happening to me? Is it my vision?" I ask.

Phareth freezes. I can tell he doesn't want to answer. He puts his hand over his mouth, and runs out of the room as if fighting something.

"What is he not telling me?" I ask.

"He doesn't like talking about our childhood," says Tsareth.

"Is this really about your childhood?" I dare to ask.

"Don't ask questions. Just get ready," says Tsareth, in a slightly agitated tone.

He, too, leaves.

I feel so frustrated. They know something but they aren't telling me. Why do I keep remembering Casnie's memories?

I want an answer, but where do I find it?

I finish my cinnamon roll, and wash up in the bathroom. I find Phareth, Tsareth, and Eldwinus waiting for me in the front of the palace.

"Ready to go?" asks Tsareth.

His voice is slightly aggressive. It scares me.
Phareth looks at me, but doesn't speak.