Chapter 14

We work in the kitchen for what seems like hours. My hands get so tired from not only making pie; I've also been forced to make sandwiches as well.

Phareth and Tsareth finally stopped playing after a little while after Eldwinus caught them having a flour war. Everyone, including the maids, are now all covered in flour.

As I finish another sandwich, I hear Eldwinus enter the room.

"Put all the food on the tables in the ballroom. The guests will arrive shortly," says Eldwinus.

"I need to go take a shower. I'm covered in flour!" I say, looking at Phareth and Tsareth. They give me goofy looks.

"You may bathe after the tables are set up," says Eldwinus.
I sigh.

"Shady, carry the food. We'll move the table into the ballroom," says Phareth.

I pick up a giant pie. It's so big that it's the only thing I can hold. The other maids grab more food.

I follow Phareth and Tsareth into the ballroom. They put the table in the back. They take the pie from me and place it on top.

The other maids come in, and also place the food on the table.

"Go on, Shadow. Go get washed up. You should put on your white robe, since you'll be in front of so many deities," says Phareth.

"What about you guys?" I ask.

"We'll get in the shower, too. There's one right by our room," says Phareth.

I walk to the bathroom, grabbing the robe from my room in the way there.

Once in the bathroom, I turn on the water, and close the door. I look in the mirror. Usually, I can't stand looking at my own face, but this time, I can't help it.

I remember the flashback where Casnie looked in the mirror. Actually, I think this is the same mirror.

We look so alike, that we could be twins. It's so strange, seeing a face that looks so much like mine.

I step into the tub. The water makes me feel so much calmer.

I wonder if Verda will be at the party. If so, maybe I should ask her about Casnie.

I suddenly realize that she's more likely to get mad. If I have any kind of connection to Casnie, it's no wonder why she'd hate me so much. I'm connected to the mortal that got her brother killed.

"Vision, will Verda show up to the party?"

Yes. Also, something bad is going to happen at the party. Be alert.

I finally leave the bathtub, and get dressed after drying off.
I look in the mirror again. I'm getting kind of tired of looking at my reflection. I'm just so tired of seeing the same thing every time I look in the mirror. I want something new.

I find a pair of scissors in one of the drawers on the sink.
My hair is so long, it reaches my waist. I used to like having it that long, but now, it just gets in the way.
I start cutting it off. At first, I cut it to just below my chest, but then I decide I want it shorter.

I keep cutting, and cutting. Eventually, my hair ends just above my shoulders.

I shake my head, trying to get used to how light my head feels now. I put on my glasses, and look in the mirror again.

I look like a completely different person. I'd smile, but smiling feels weird.

After brushing out my hair, I sweep up all the hair on the floor, and I put it in the trash.