Chapter 25

I don't sleep much that night. I'm too scared to close my eyes. Eldwinus is in the tent with me, in a sleeping bag. I don't know how he ever got to sleep.

I feel someone enter the tent. It's dark, but I can make out Skylight's figure walking toward me. She kneels down next to me.

"I figured you'd need help getting to sleep."

She tucks her head in between her talons. Finally, I feel safe enough to doze off.

#

I open my eyes to a scene. I'm on a bridge, on a white horse. Eldwinus is next to me, riding a grey horse of his own. Across from us, on the other side of the bridge, Thermapondreix is on his own horse, Ignatius. His giant sword is in his hand.

Without warning he charges. I have no time to react. Thermapondreix plunges his sword into my heart.

Eldwinus screams. "NALLA!"

#

My eyes shoot open. I am hyperventilating. Skylight and Eldwinus are standing over me.

"Guys... I'm fine... I had a nightmare," I say.

Eldwinus kneels down.

"I'm not surprised. Nalla was killed here last time."

I just relived the memory of Nalla dying. I stand up.

"I need a minute," I say.

I walk out of the tent and see that the sun is just coming up. I turn on my Messenger.

Sitting by the now dead fire, I tap on Phareth's contact. I press the call button.

While it rings, I take a moment to think. What if I die here? What if I never get to hug Phareth and Tsareth again? What will happen to me in my next life?

This is the first time I've thought about that. It's so weird. Just a week ago, I thought I was going to go to heaven. Now, I know that I'm going to reincarnate forever. Well, as long as Phareth has my soul core.

What is my life?

I hear Phareth pick up.

"Hello?"

Hearing his voice almost brings me to tears.

"Phareth," I say. I don't know what to say after that.

"Are you alright, kid?"

I can't lie to him. I know I'm not alright. I feel like I'm going to have another mental breakdown.

"No," I finally answer. "I'm scared, Phareth. I'm terrified. I don't want to do this. I want to go home," I say.

I know he can hear the desperation in my voice. What is he going to say now? I haven't been here for even twenty four hours, and I'm already having a breakdown. Why did I think I was emotionally prepared for this?

"Awww, kid. I'm sorry. I'm really scared too."

"Phareth, I just want a hug right now. I want to go home. I want us to be together, back in our house, with Moon, and Tsareth... I want us to be together again," I say.

By now, tears are streaming down my face like a fountain. I feel so weak.

"Me too, Shadow. Look, I know you're scared. We both are. You can do this. I believe in you. I wouldn't have let you go if I didn't think you could do it."

I sniffle.

"Really? You really think I'm good enough?" I ask.

"Yes. I've always thought you were such a bright kid. You've always been so different. I like that about you."