Chapter Three

Word Count: 1852

~Abella

Does this make me a criminal?

All this money sits in a bag, in my apartment, the origin of it unknown. Of course it belongs to Cian, but who knows how he got it. Maybe he stole it, and has dumped it on me. Regardless, I frantically zip it up, anxiously looking all around as if someone might be looking in on me, ready to report me to the authority.

It's illegal to have this much cash without putting it into the bank. If I get caught with this, my entire life will be over. It doesn't matter if Cian is trying to help me out with money troubles, he could get me in serious trouble.

Dragging it across the room, I push it under my bed, wedging it until the bulging bag fits. No one can see this. No one.

I only relax for a moment when it's out of sight.

How am I going to get rid of it without getting caught? I'll have to burn it, or dump it somewhere. I don't care that I could do with that much money, and it would be a true blessing to use it, however, I don't want Cian's pity money. How did he even get it up here without anyone seeing? Unless of course, someone did see...

Hours pass and no one busts through my door, so I eventually clamber into bed, hoping I won't wake up in the morning to the authority standing over my bed. Plus, it doesn't help with my nerves for tomorrow. I'm going to the Alpha's palace.

Tomorrow, when I get home from work, I'll deal with the money. Sam will help me dump it somewhere, and it will be no worry of mine anymore.

I hope.

***

I barely slept all night.

Going to the Alpha's palace isn't a common experience for the average person. Although I doubt I'll meet him, I'm still nervous. We are simply delivery people, however, at the back of my mind, it lingers that I was specifically asked to be the one to deliver this small package. Maybe today I will find out.

Sitting in Jeffreys delivery van, I ignore the uncomfortable jolt and lunge it makes over every bump, concentrating on the view outside. Since my parents went away to travel for the past year, I haven't had any money to my name, which means I haven't left my town.

It's beautiful out here. The entire Harmony Pack is. Endless flat, bright green meadows frame the road we drive down. There isn't even a single cloud in the sky.

It's almost too perfect.

Jeffrey warns me as we get close to approaching the estate. The closer me drive, the stranger the taste on my tongue becomes. It's tangy, almost, like blood, but when I check my mouth, there's nothing there. Maybe it's just my nerves, but either way, it tastes horrid. Jeffrey seems to notice it too, his face screwing up in disgust. We are soon too distracted to notice it.

We are stopped on a random checkpoint going up the road by security. It didn't take much to identify us, and we were sent on our way again. With stern expressions on their faces, they look awfully intimidating. We haven't even made it to the manor yet.

Formal lawns and manicured gardens reach us before the manor is even in sight. Smooth asphalt finds its way underneath us.

Who is the Alpha trying to impress?

The manor as we approach it is stunning. It's not what I expected, the first part of it open, supported by giant marble pillars. It's so stunning, that as Jeffrey drives to the other side, I find myself getting slightly mad. I want to walk through that main entrance and feel how lavish and beautiful it is. I know, however, that only those who are invited are allowed in through there.