Chapter Seven

Word Count: 1623

~Abella

It was liberating accepting the job.

Now that it is the morning of work, I'm starting to regret my once confident decision. I wanted, at the time, to so desperately defy Cian's demands. I'm not sure why he is so adamant that I shouldn't take the promotion, but something tells me it has to do with the fact that now, he cannot control me.

Those few nights ago when he delivered me safely back to my apartment, he mentioned nothing on why he found me interesting enough to pursue me to the length that he did. Not that I asked him, though. I mean, how would I ask that?

He has been back since then, and it's been a few days. All my confidence has died off since I alerted the royal manor that I would be taking the job.

Noah's assistant informed me that he would be greatly pleased.

Wiping my sweating palms against my jeans, I wander outside my apartment. It's early enough to where the sun has not yet risen, my new job calling for me to show up earlier than usual. Considering how far away the royal manor is from my town, it means getting up early, and catching a taxi all the way there.

How am I going to afford these taxi rides every morning? It's not like I have enough money to pay for my rent this month let alone these taxi rides.

Oh.

As I push through the glass doors of my apartment building, I see, standing against the same car I remember from the other night, is Cian. That smile on his face says it all. He knows he has trapped me in yet another situation with him.

I'm tempted to simply turn around and walk away.

"Don't you look awfully nice for work? Trying to impress someone?" he asks, smiling wickedly as I stand still in the middle of the street, unsure of what to do.

The taxi I called for has arrived yet, so it is just myself and Cian, standing under the illumination of the street lights. I know by now, he doesn't mean me any harm, but it is unnerving that he manages to insert himself into every free space of my life. How he manages to find this information out about me, I don't know.

"If you're trying to ruin my first day, then I suggest getting out of here before I call for the authorities," I mutter, clutching the straps of my backpack. Cian holds his hands up, trying to appear innocent.

"I'm here to simply offer you a ride," he says innocently.

As if I believe that. Cian is here for a reason, and I have a feeling his motivation to not have me take this job is behind it. I'm not sure why he is so adamant I shouldn't have this promotion, but i don't care.

"I have a cab that's waiting for me, but thanks," I say dismissively. Folding my arms over my chest, I look out onto the street, wishing this driver would show up.

"Don't worry, I sent him away so you didn't have to pay. At least this ride I'm offering you will be free," he tells me, popping the passenger door open. Inside, a violet light glows, trying to entice me into the car. I grit my teeth. My ride is gone, and there is no way that I'm going to be able to book another one in time. I'm surely already late.

Irritable, I tap my foot against the ground. "Why are you doing this? What do you want with me? All I'm trying to do is go to work."

Cian doesn't seem fazed by my desperate tone.

"I'm simply offering you a ride," he tells me, propping the door open a little further. I don't need to glance down at my watch to know I'm going to be late if I don't leave soon. So against my better judgement, I shove my bag into the car, and follow after it.