Chapter Thirty Two

Word Count: 1589

¬Abella

We met with the Gaze Reader the next day.

It took me almost a whole night to convince Cian that I didn't want to use the Gaze Reader to separate the mate bond. I couldn't just make a decision overnight, when I've barely spoke to Noah, and Cian has been nothing but frantic. But his desperation has lead me to remain sitting here, right in front of a Gaze Reader.

I demanded he leave the room, which thankfully, he complied to that much. But as I sit here, gripping the edge of my wooden seat, I wonder what I'm going to do next. I've never needed to be in front of a Gaze Reader before. They frighten me.

They are half Phantom like creatures, with the ability to look into anyone's gaze and retract segments of their memory. From what they have seen, and what they might see in the future.

Right now, I don't want someone sifting through my brain. But I don't have much choice.

"You're not here to have the mate bond separated, are you?" the Gaze Reader drawls, voice thick with an unintelligible accent. I swallow, but the lump in my throat goes nowhere. The Readers eyes are a foggy, purple colour, already feeling like they are drawing out my thoughts before the ritual has even started.

He's right, I'm not. There's no way I'm going to go through the process of separating a mate bond, which Cian tried to convince me wouldn't be painful, but I hardly believe him. Not without knowing in my mind what I actually want. I haven't given Noah a chance, so I've come here hoping this Gaze Reader will look into my eyes and tell me what I really want.

Cian doesn't know this yet...I know he wouldn't agree.

"I'm hoping you can tell me something that I don't know about myself," I say uneasily, shifting in my seat. This Gaze reader has a completely shaved head, incoherent patterns tattooed all across his skin. It's only highlighted by the golden jewellery hanging from his lips, nose, eyebrows and ears.

"Is this about your mate outside?" he questions. He hasn't yet started looking into my eyes yet, but he's clearly reading my expression. Or maybe he watched my wariness around Cian. It's not because he's an immortal, I'm over that now, but because I'm still getting over the lie he's kept from me the entire time I've known him.

I chew the edge of my lip. "I have two mates. And I need to know which one is better for me. I know you're here to split the mate-bond, or at least start the process, but I can't do that right now. Please just look into my head and tell me who I end up with."

The Gaze Reader doesn't reply right away, eyebrows furrowing. They cast their eyes toward the door, which Cian no doubt is standing behind, waiting for an answer.

"Your mate is paying me."

"Cian is Greed, he has all the money in the world. He will pay you, if you do this for me. He's not going to be mad at anyone but me," I tell him, hoping that's true. I honestly don't know what Cian is capable of. "Please. I beg of you."

The Gaze reader grabs the edge of my seat, dragging me with a sudden unknown strength closer to the point our knees were touching. There's something so much more frightening about these people close up. The milky eyes, the stench of magic leaking from their skin. It is adds up, but they have no power outside their mind reading abilities.

"I'm doing this, because no immortal will control what I want to do. Including a Sin," they say sternly, grabbing either side of my face with chillingly cold hands. Forcing my gaze into theirs, a wave of dizziness hits me, and my sight sinks into a pools of bright vivid colours.