Chapter Thirteen

Word Count: 1667

~Abella

I have a lot on my mind as I sit here, sorting through mail.

So far, I've come across two pieces of mail from the pile that come from the address Noah stated on the letter to me. Just thinking about that letter makes my cheeks flush with heat, and not because the Alpha wrote to me directly, but because of how I was publically embarrassed last night in front of everyone.

I'm not sure what they wanted to prove. Maybe they are jealous, however, I know he only wrote to me on a business level. The extra part was just to make me feel good and maybe stay quiet about what he wants from me.

And Cian left so swiftly, I can't help but wonder why. Maybe it upset him, or maybe he just didn't like the sudden attention shift. Either way, I haven't heard from him.

Honestly, I'm grateful.

Picking up the two envelopes I've been ordered to burn, I take them to a separate room. It's late, Heather having gone back to the accommodation, while I remain to take care of the last set of mail. All that is left is to rid of this mail as per Noah's request.

Going down a small flight of steps, I go out into an open area, where a put is already lit. Keeping my work is important, if I want to take his job seriously. I doubt Noah has any more patience left for me if I make another mistake. If all goes well, and Noah keeps his promise, I will be able to get enough money to get out of here.

With a sigh, I toss the first envelope into the fire. I slowly watch it burn, wondering what the contents could have been. I can't help but look down at the one I hold.

What the hell...

Throwing all my inhibitions away, I tear into the envelope. This is wrong, and everything is telling me I shouldn't look at this. It's private. It's Alpha business. But I can't help myself. I know how long I'll spend wondering what it could have said if I didn't do this. Even if I'm completely going against everything I've been telling myself.

Slipping the piece of paper from inside the envelope out, I fold it out onto my lap, looking at the extensive letter that has been written out, addressed to Noah. I read the beginning immediately.

Here's a simple truth. Our agreement is clearly off, however, that doesn't mean I'm not willing to create some rules around what is being said to her.

"Thank you for that."

I startle, quickly stuffing the letter under my shirt, as the sound of Noah's gentle voice floods the small courtyard area. I'm hoping he didn't see, but that wish it unlikely. Now he's going to know I betrayed him, once again, because of my damned curiosity. It's most likely he's going to assume I'm one of his doting followers who wanted a chance to meet him, even if he was the one to offer me the job.

I clear my throat. "For what?"

"Burning the letters," he replies, taking steps toward. I remain where I sit, staring at the crackling fire, wondering how painful it would be to dive head first in compared to being in this situation. "I know it might seem strange, but it's better for my peace of mind that I don't get any mail from that particular person."

"Fair enough," I comment, unsure of whether I've managed to get out of this or not.

Without any invitation to - as if he needs any - he sits down beside me. I don't tear my eyes away from the fire, too scared that if I look at him, he's going to know there's one of his private letters underneath my shirt. However, my decision to concentrate on the fire isn't going me much good. The shock of feeling his presence next to me, to smelling that cloying scent of his is inescapable.