Chapter Twenty

Word Count: 1602

~Abella

"Going somewhere?"

Pausing in my step, I glance over my shoulder to see who has interrupted me. Evening as set in to its darkest point, so I assumed I could sneak out of this building without alerting the other girls. The last thing I need is for them to know I'm going out to dinner with Noah. I'll never here the end of it.

A girl whose name I hardly remember stands behind me, three of her friends with her. They work the laundry area, I believe, and is constantly wondering how best to get past the Alphas assistant and right on his lap. I'll be cast out if they find out.

"I'm just heading out," I tell them, wrapping my coat around me. She raises a blonde eyebrow, looking me up and down sceptically.

"Why are you dressed like that then?"

Glancing down at myself, I feel my stomach recoil in embarrassment. I've dressed better than I usually would, pulling out a nice, simple dress. You can't just show up to an Alpha's dinner and not look somewhat decent, even if it is meant to just be about a promotion. Nevertheless, seeing each girl look at me makes me rethink my decision.

"Me and my friend are going out to dinner," I tell them. I don't know why I have to validate myself to these girls, but it almost feels naughty, what I'm doing. None of them have the opportunity to have dinner with the Alpha...

I turn to walk out the door, listening to them whisper as I leave. None of them believe me. I'm not sure how they get so suspicious, or even found out this in the first place.

Either way, that's not something I need to worry about right now.

This is my second-time walking up toward the front door is just as daunting as the last. I'm concerned about my last encounter with his assistant. Her reaction suggests something sinister may be lurking behind that door, which I'm walking straight into. And the drawings...I have them tucked into my back pocket, in case I decide to bring it up to Noah over dinner. I'm worried about his reaction, but I can't get this out of my head.

Noah answers after two knocks.

All the tension leaves my body the moment I lay eyes on him. I expected to be nervous, after his earlier appearance in my room, but for whatever reason, the fear of arriving here completely vanishes. He holds the door open for me, smiling at me with the softest smile.

I'm not sure how he manages to make everything about him so effortlessly beautiful, but he manages it expertly. He's dressed so neatly, but not too formal. His hair is mussed, his skin glowing. It's just not fair.

"You look great tonight," he breathes, his voice sending chills right down my spine. I want to reprimand him, to keep this strictly business, but I won't lie, it feels good to have his attention on me like this. It feels devious, almost.

He leads me through the home, towards a dining hall with a table already set for us. I look around, feeling the emptiness of this place weighing on my shoulders.

If no one is here, then who knows what could happen.

"No assistant?" I ask lightly, as we sit down opposite each other. I didn't expect other guests, necessarily, but I thought at least his assistant would join us. I wanted to speak to her about her strange reaction last time, as if her every move is being monitored by someone. More specifically, Noah.

"You know I like my privacy. If you're wanting to talk to her, since you will be working for her starting next week, I can arrange that," he tells me, settling his palms on the table. I stare at the ring on his finger, glinting against the light.