Chapter Eight

Word Count: 1648

~Abella

It seems Alpha Noah is all the more frightening the second time around.

He's the other mystery in my life. This mystery, however, has supplied me with a job, and although I'm still skeptical about how I came to get this job, I'm going to take it without asking anymore questions. The fact that Cian is so adamant I shouldn't take it to the point he made me purposefully late, only makes me want it more.

That is, if Alpha Noah still wants me to have this job. Being late on the first day is never acceptable, especially in a place like this.

He steps into the room, looking different to how I remember him. Are his eyes greener, hair darker this time? He doesn't seem angry, however, his impassive expression is giving me room to wonder what is going on inside his head.

He silently settles down into his seat.

"I know it's the excuse of anyone who would be late, but it really wasn't my fault," I blurt out, before he even had the chance to say anything himself. He doesn't react, aside from the slight furrow of his brow, which almost seems to darken the shade of those emerald green eyes.

Noah takes his time in responding. "I was on my way to an important meeting when I was alerted that you were late. I thought since I personally decided to hire you, it was my duty to address what has happened this morning."

Despite not truly wanting this job to begin with, it almost seems to hurt knowing I'm about to be fired. Especially by an Alpha...

I'll never get another job again.

"My town is far from here, and I got up early in time, but when I went out to get my taxi, it had been sent away by this guy...I know it doesn't sound believable," I exasperate. I feel foolish for trying to explain myself. My life has been so crazed recently, even I don't believe what has happened to me.

Noah's eyes narrow for a single moment. Oddly enough, I notice how well dressed he is. Whatever this meeting is, it is of serious importance. He is dressed neatly in a well tailored back dress shirt and pants. It's for Alpha business, I'm sure.

"Why would someone send your taxi away?" Noah asks, not quite grasping the story I'm attempting to portray. I don't blame him. It doesn't sound very believable.

I consider how best to approach the conversation.

"There's this guy, who I believe thinks that just because he saved me from stalker, I owe him something. He didn't want me to take this job, and when I was forced to get a ride from him, he purposefully made me late," I explain uneasily.

For a moment, I swear I see a flicker of anger in his eyes. It haunts me, as I realise he's genuinely unhappy that I showed up late today, no matter what my excuse is.

"Does this man's name happen to be Cian?" he asks, concentrating his gaze on me so intently it makes me want to look away. Instead, I let all the information slap me in my face. Noah knows Cian. I had a feeling that these two events happened together, is such quick succession, it couldn't have been natural.

"Yes, that's his name," I say warily.

Noah seems to think, as though hearing Cian's name is troubling him deeply. Suddenly, the room around me feels as though is closing in on me, like secrets are being kept from me that were never meant to be leaked. By the look on Noah's face, he doesn't seem to be jumping at the opportunity to tell me anything.

"Don't worry. There will be no penalty for being late. However, I do believe that you living so far from here is a detriment to your work. I have accommodation for you on sight,' he tells me, giving me no open to turn him down.